Author Topic: Suggestion-  (Read 115 times)

Offline memo3300

• Windows UserOld Forum MemberLeague PlayerDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• the measure of a man is what he does with power
Suggestion-
« on: September 15, 2012, 08:06:21 AM »
To start, I'm posting this on here because i don't want everyone to be able to know this.

If you get banned/kicked or votebanned/kicked by any admin or VIP, it saves your steam id, some information but nothing more.

When you change name during the round in TTT, it saves a little more information.

When you get kicked for changing your name during the round in the bans page it saves your IP.

Personally, i don't mind this too much, but i remember that when krasher was banned was because he passed some personal information about Don to other players. If i remember correctly, one of the things that was inside the personal information was the IP. (with this i mean that inside  the information you shouldn't give to another player is the IP, not that krasher gave Don's IP so someone else)

S[hes] Br[ok]en

Offline Eion Kilant 739

• -blam!-
Re: Suggestion-
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 11:21:23 AM »
Interesting. I don't know where the Admins' stance on this issue is, but I do know that IPs can be used to tell if someone is evading a ban with another account. It's not all that useful if they aren't though.

I also cleaned up your last paragraph, I couldn't quite get what you were trying to say until I fixed the mistakes. You must have been in a rush.
Personally, I don't mind this too much, but I remember that when krasher was banned it was because he passed some personal information about Don to other players. If I remember correctly, one of the things that was inside the personal information he gave was the IP. (With this I mean that inside the information you shouldn't give to another player is the IP, not that krasher gave Don's IP so someone else.)
I have avatars and signatures disabled. There is no reason to judge people here by anything other than what they post.

Offline Sabb

• 2009 Snowball Competition WinnerWindows UserOld Forum MemberDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 11:28:15 AM »
The information given is extremely useful for players in general for making reports or complaints on other players and obviously for admins as well. I don't think this should be changed and I doubt it will be.

The issue with Krasher was WAY, WAY different. He went extremely far with many things he shouldn't have and was banned for that. Not for giving out someone's IP lol.
Any ways, if someone knew enough and had enough motivation to actually do something with that IP, they would also most likely know enough to get that IP of the player without the server spitting it out as it's really not hard. So, I see absolutely no problem with this.

Lithuanian pride world wide!: sun doesnt revolve around the sun

Offline memo3300

• Windows UserOld Forum MemberLeague PlayerDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• the measure of a man is what he does with power
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 01:26:51 PM »
but the IP is just given away when you get banned automatically by the server .-. .

if it is so useful then why it doesn't register the IP when a player gets (vote)kicked/banned? by an admin/VIP

S[hes] Br[ok]en

Offline Sabb

• 2009 Snowball Competition WinnerWindows UserOld Forum MemberDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 01:35:31 PM »
but the IP is just given away when you get banned automatically by the server .-. .

if it is so useful then why it doesn't register the IP when a player gets (vote)kicked/banned? by an admin/VIP
Well the IP isn't used by players so the only reason the IP would be displayed is for the admins. In some cases I'm pretty sure coolz has had to use the IPs for some stuff, or just to check for a duplicate account or something like that. Pretty sure it can still be useful. Just that VIPs and other players wouldn't really need it. Just the Steam ID.

Offline Ἆxule

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 06:56:56 PM »
Yeah. Don't make us do more work

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Some music shit I made
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 07:00:09 PM »
Well the IP isn't used by players so the only reason the IP would be displayed is for the admins. In some cases I'm pretty sure coolz has had to use the IPs for some stuff, or just to check for a duplicate account or something like that. Pretty sure it can still be useful. Just that VIPs and other players wouldn't really need it. Just the Steam ID.

The IP is still logged. We just can't see it.

When the server auto-bans you, it'll publicly show the IP with it.

Personally, I'm not okay with this. While an IP isn't the hardest thing in the world to get, and it /is/ public information, you can do serious damage with one.

I don't want players to be vulnerable just becuase they changed their name in the middle of a round.

Check out my Soundcloud for some neat stuff!

Offline Sabb

View More Badges!

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 07:03:30 PM »
The IP is still logged. We just can't see it.

When the server auto-bans you, it'll publicly show the IP with it.

Personally, I'm not okay with this. While an IP isn't the hardest thing in the world to get, and it /is/ public information, you can do serious damage with one.

I don't want players to be vulnerable just becuase they changed their name in the middle of a round.
Good point. I think the only person who would need to use the IP for something with be coolz any ways, so having it not displayed should be fine.