Author Topic: This is highly unusual, but a pre-emptive ban - Levy "Shadey"  (Read 562 times)

Offline Travelsonic

• We're gonna need a new obstacle course...
Offender's Name: Levi "Shadey"
Offender's STEAM ID: STEAM_0:1:42497596
Server: TTT
My Name.:'=-~rNd~-=':. Terminal Cancer

I want to give you all a heads up on a problem player. This guy is using T hax, and depending on the server he is on, and how they have a votekick/voteban thing set up, people can't get him kicked or banned by name because his name BREAKS the system.  On Pidda.org's TTT server he is making a negative splash, moreso residual from yesterday's moronathon unless he returns [which I have a feeling he will, having seen him before], and we're in the process of getting him perma'd [since, again, people who could ban by ID weren't on there yesterday, and people who could start votes couldn't due to his name].

Just thought I should let you know.  I have a demo of his behavior that I will be uploading soon for both this thread, and the report on Pidda.org's forum.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 06:51:20 AM by Travelsonic »
lim ( Δ :trollface: -> 0 ) (:trollface: + Δ :trollface:)² + :trollface: = :trollface:

Offline Eion Kilant 739

• -blam!-
Re: This is highly unusual, but a pre-emptive ban - Levy "Shadey"
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 10:36:19 AM »
How could his name cause problems? I guess it would use a certain series of characters that breaks the system. I've seen it done before with "%".

Anyway, if what you say is true and his name does break the system then please provide some evidence. We can't and shouldn't do much on just talk. Provide evidence of the T-hax or his name making him unable to get banned and he's outta here. (Yes. I know you will be updating the thread when you post the demo, I'll check back every now and again.)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 10:37:52 AM by Eion Kilant 739 »
I have avatars and signatures disabled. There is no reason to judge people here by anything other than what they post.

Offline Travelsonic

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 11:27:36 AM »
How could his name cause problems? I guess it would use a certain series of characters that breaks the system. I've seen it done before with "%".

Anyway, if what you say is true and his name does break the system then please provide some evidence. We can't and shouldn't do much on just talk. Provide evidence of the T-hax or his name making him unable to get banned and he's outta here. (Yes. I know you will be updating the thread when you post the demo, I'll check back every now and again.)

Gonna be getting it up as soon as possible.  Seriously do not want to go through one of those file hosting sites just to do something smallish [file size wise] like this, but if I have to.... ~_~
lim ( Δ :trollface: -> 0 ) (:trollface: + Δ :trollface:)² + :trollface: = :trollface:

Offline Sabb

• 2009 Snowball Competition WinnerWindows UserOld Forum MemberDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 12:01:28 PM »
The name shouldn't be an issue. On the regular servers there's a votekick/ban menu which allows you to select from a list of players on the server. Basically completely eliminates difficulties with votekicking/banning that you are talking about, as you don't need to type the name out.
For the report I'll have to ask coolz. Usually coolz doesn't like to ban players from the server simply for something they've done on another server.

Lithuanian pride world wide!: sun doesnt revolve around the sun

Offline Travelsonic

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 12:12:01 PM »
The name shouldn't be an issue. On the regular servers there's a votekick/ban menu which allows you to select from a list of players on the server. Basically completely eliminates difficulties with votekicking/banning that you are talking about, as you don't need to type the name out.
For the report I'll have to ask coolz. Usually coolz doesn't like to ban players from the server simply for something they've done on another server.

I do believe T hax [if not severe ghosting] is more than good enough a reason.

Again, still need t find a place to upload the proof.

Offline Sabb

• 2009 Snowball Competition WinnerWindows UserOld Forum MemberDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 12:13:38 PM »
I do believe T hax [if not severe ghosting] is more than good enough a reason.

Again, still need t find a place to upload the proof.
You may think so, but even for things like that coolz usually isn't too open to banning them without them having done anything on our servers.

Offline Loke

• Click Click
  • Windows UserCat Lover
    View More Badges!

• Boom
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 02:16:26 PM »
The regular servers instantly perma ban anyone with % in their name.

Atleast from what I learned.
Allah's Snackbar is best food place.

Offline Travelsonic

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 02:02:51 PM »
The name shouldn't be an issue. On the regular servers there's a votekick/ban menu which allows you to select from a list of players on the server.

But, as I said, Levy's name BREAKS that in a very simple way.  The inclusion of quotes in the name.  In any programming language where you work with literal strings, you need to double up on them, or have some means of showing that there are quotation marks just as part of a literal string, otherwise you get errors out the ass.  Levy's name breaks the ability for name selection by taking advantage of that, try to choose his name and the kicker/banner will bug out since it can't tell if the name ends, and what all the extra crap after the quotation mark is.

Whereas we see " Levy "Shadey" ", the thing will only see "Levy", and thus will throw an error that it can not find the user name.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 02:07:16 PM by Travelsonic »

Offline Sabb

View More Badges!

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 03:08:20 PM »
But, as I said, Levy's name BREAKS that in a very simple way.  The inclusion of quotes in the name.  In any programming language where you work with literal strings, you need to double up on them, or have some means of showing that there are quotation marks just as part of a literal string, otherwise you get errors out the ass.  Levy's name breaks the ability for name selection by taking advantage of that, try to choose his name and the kicker/banner will bug out since it can't tell if the name ends, and what all the extra crap after the quotation mark is.

Whereas we see " Levy "Shadey" ", the thing will only see "Levy", and thus will throw an error that it can not find the user name.
I don't think it even needs to use the full name though. But still doesn't matter. If he hasn't done anything on OUR servers, I don't think coolz will want him banned.
EDIT:
Just tested and it worked, even on the temp servers where you do need to type the name. I'm assuming there's a simple way to detect the quotation marks in the name as to not trigger the end of the name in the coding, or that it only needs part of the name to determine the player in-game. Either way it's not a problem.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 03:16:46 PM by Sabb »

Offline Travelsonic

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 03:27:30 PM »
I don't think it even needs to use the full name though. But still doesn't matter. If he hasn't done anything on OUR servers, I don't think coolz will want him banned.
EDIT:
Just tested and it worked, even on the temp servers where you do need to type the name. I'm assuming there's a simple way to detect the quotation marks in the name as to not trigger the end of the name in the coding, or that it only needs part of the name to determine the player in-game. Either way it's not a problem.

Well, that mans rANdOm's thing is not retarded.   :thumbsup:

Disregard my last post.

Offline memo3300

• Windows UserOld Forum MemberLeague PlayerDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• the measure of a man is what he does with power
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 09:15:43 PM »
the fact that someone is fking around in other servers doesn't mean he will in ours.

thats how i see it.

i belive we have had worst things than someone with a weird name.

S[hes] Br[ok]en

Offline Travelsonic

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 08:05:43 AM »
the fact that someone is fking around in other servers doesn't mean he will in ours.

thats how i see it.

i belive we have had worst things than someone with a weird name.

The primary focus - contrary to the impression I have given you - is not the names, but the issue of him either ghosting or using T hax [or both].

I still need to upload the demos from the 29th/30th of July as proof.

I have seen many mingebags, RDMers, hackers in my couple of years here either join here from other servers like NeXuS, Pidda.org, etc, after getting banned there, or flock to those servers after getting banned here, just to keep minging [and get banned].
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 08:29:13 AM by Travelsonic »

Offline Shawn

• Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• IGM: Shawn /Steam ID: Shawnchapp
    • The Vault
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 08:29:59 AM »
As Sabb has already said he hasn't done anything in our servers... I've seen some people screw around in other servers but when they were in RND servers they didn't...  So unless he does anything on the RND servers theres not much we can do...

Offline [TTPN] ShadowMoon

• Gamer
    • DeviantART
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 03:29:16 AM »
Report him to Steam VAC.

Offline Supertoaster

• A completely superfluous bottle of cough syrup
  • Cat LoverWindows User
    View More Badges!

• Only six bucks