Author Topic: Does this Ebay offer seem legit?  (Read 126 times)

Offline Supertoaster

• A completely superfluous bottle of cough syrup
  • Cat LoverWindows User
    View More Badges!

• Only six bucks
Does this Ebay offer seem legit?
« on: May 15, 2012, 05:43:48 PM »
So I'm in the market for some new headphones and I found these at Ebay for $24 (the normal price is $60) apparently 'new'

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-NEW-authentic-SAMSON-professional-studio-reference-headphone-SR850-/150813121737?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item231d299cc9#ht_500wt_1396

First of all it seems a little too good to be true. The seller doesn't have many reviews but three people (look in the history) did buy them and gave him a good review. I've never ordered from ebay before and I don't want to be scammed.

help?

Offline ○ Μαρία ○

• Kingdom Bravely Fantasy
  • Badge CreatorDonatorDedicated SummonerDog LoverLinux UserWindows UserApple User
    View More Badges!

• Probably playing FFXIV
    • KHMarieXII tumblr.
Re: Does this Ebay offer seem legit?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 05:59:31 PM »
I mean, if you get scammed you can always complain to ebay and get your money back? It seems worth it.
Prox: gibs me dat pic of sabb choking on  a dick

Offline Supertoaster

• Cat LoverWindows User
    View More Badges!

• Only six bucks
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 06:03:25 PM »
I mean, if you get scammed you can always complain to ebay and get your money back? It seems worth it.
yeah

plus it has a 30 day return thing too.

Its just because he only has 10 reviews and its way underpriced

Offline ○ Μαρία ○

• Kingdom Bravely Fantasy
  • Badge CreatorDonatorDedicated SummonerDog LoverLinux UserWindows UserApple User
    View More Badges!

• Probably playing FFXIV
    • KHMarieXII tumblr.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 06:19:41 PM »
yeah

plus it has a 30 day return thing too.

Its just because he only has 10 reviews and its way underpriced

Well why sit there an think about it? Take the risk, or you might just regret it. Even if they are just headphones.
Prox: gibs me dat pic of sabb choking on  a dick

Offline Supertoaster

• Cat LoverWindows User
    View More Badges!

• Only six bucks
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 06:31:20 PM »
Well why sit there an think about it? Take the risk, or you might just regret it. Even if they are just headphones.
hopefully my mom gives me my money back sometime this week before it sells out because this is a REALLY good deal

Offline Xrain

• DWO PlayerOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• XRain - King of TL;DR
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 11:52:56 PM »
The reason it is so cheap is it is direct from china.

It is possible it is legitimate, as an Iphone for example only costs on the order of $20-50 to manufacture. This is pretty common. So if it is the real headphones, it is likely the seller is illegitimately selling the item direct from the chinease manufacturer. Without paying the normal royalties to the designer. This is a relatively common occurrence.

Other possibility is it is a fully legitimate product, it is just the price before shipping is added and the overhead for the American retailer.

At any rate, I would expect it to arrive anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months from now. It is usually much cheaper to buy things direct from china, however the downside is usually the length of time the shipping takes and the expense. Also be aware there might be some customs charges involved, I'm not sure on that but something to think about.

The last possibility, is it is just a cheap imitation in fancy packaging. I would generally however expect to see a more known company being imitated. Though it greatly worries me that they put the word "authentic" in the title.

Lastly for the warranty, the costs involved with shipping the item to china, and then shipping it back to you will be more than the item is worth. Its possible the company might be nice and just send you a second pair without you needing to send the first one back. But I wouldn't count on it.

Approach warranties from Chinese companies as something that is in the realm of possibility, but not a given. (expect stall tactics, redirects, etc.)

The reason you buy from an American retailer is it is fast, and warranty claims are much easier, or it is much easier to deal with the company if it is being vagrant. But it will be expensive.

The reason you buy from a Chinese supplier is it will be cheap. But it will take a long time to get to you, and warranties are very difficult/expensive to get them to honor.

With things like this, if it feels too good to be true, it probably is; or it's not nearly as good of a deal as it appears.

To me personally the headphones wouldn't be worth the possible headache that would be involved.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 11:55:34 PM by Xrain »
" I don't take square roots, I make them. Then I set them out to cool after I baked them for 40 minutes."
"It's Canadia, not Chlamydia."
"Hold on I just have to ddos myself"
~Coolzeldad~

"I'm like 12 in my head" screen when I do video?"
~Minic~

Offline Supertoaster

• Cat LoverWindows User
    View More Badges!

• Only six bucks
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 04:30:16 PM »
The reason it is so cheap is it is direct from china.

It is possible it is legitimate, as an Iphone for example only costs on the order of $20-50 to manufacture. This is pretty common. So if it is the real headphones, it is likely the seller is illegitimately selling the item direct from the chinease manufacturer. Without paying the normal royalties to the designer. This is a relatively common occurrence.

Other possibility is it is a fully legitimate product, it is just the price before shipping is added and the overhead for the American retailer.

At any rate, I would expect it to arrive anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months from now. It is usually much cheaper to buy things direct from china, however the downside is usually the length of time the shipping takes and the expense. Also be aware there might be some customs charges involved, I'm not sure on that but something to think about.

The last possibility, is it is just a cheap imitation in fancy packaging. I would generally however expect to see a more known company being imitated. Though it greatly worries me that they put the word "authentic" in the title.

Lastly for the warranty, the costs involved with shipping the item to china, and then shipping it back to you will be more than the item is worth. Its possible the company might be nice and just send you a second pair without you needing to send the first one back. But I wouldn't count on it.

Approach warranties from Chinese companies as something that is in the realm of possibility, but not a given. (expect stall tactics, redirects, etc.)

The reason you buy from an American retailer is it is fast, and warranty claims are much easier, or it is much easier to deal with the company if it is being vagrant. But it will be expensive.

The reason you buy from a Chinese supplier is it will be cheap. But it will take a long time to get to you, and warranties are very difficult/expensive to get them to honor.

With things like this, if it feels too good to be true, it probably is; or it's not nearly as good of a deal as it appears.

To me personally the headphones wouldn't be worth the possible headache that would be involved.
I think I'd rather spend an extra $30

thanks for the help, everybody