Author Topic: Current Projects  (Read 160 times)

Offline Sabb

• 2009 Snowball Competition WinnerWindows UserOld Forum MemberDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +2400
Current Projects
« on: March 03, 2012, 05:51:58 PM »
+1
Currently, I'm working on some projects as I just got the money to buy some good equipment such as a bandsaw, drill press, sandingbelt, etc. On top of that, I've got 2 half inch 2 x 4 foot sheets of not very high quality Spruce plywood. But I know I can make a shit load of stuff with it, and have looots of ideas. Problem is, I want this all done right, and to be able to take full advantage of all my supplies. To do that, I basically need to print out plans for everything. The problem with this is that... well... I don't really know how to. Haven't made plans like this before, so I was wondering if anyone else has done something like this before. Currently, I'm using Sketchup to make plans for what I'm building, and it's been going good, but now I don't quite know how to make a printable version of the plans. I was hoping someone here could help me with that. Or, if you don't know much about Sketchup, any other program that you may have used for the sort of thing? All suggestions/help would be appreciated.

Now, here is the current plan I need to have a printable version of, it's pretty simple, and all the measurements are very precise, and all of the pieces are separated into proper objects:

So, all help/ideas/suggestions, etc would be very appreciated. For my next project after this one (which is a sort of marble machine, with copper wiring, moving gears, etc, all simple stuff) is to make a wooden automata mostly if not entirely out of plywood. Currently what I have in mind for it would be to make a spider, caterpillar, snake, etc, or a mario automata which would be a looot more difficult, but still manageable. The hardest part would be physically creating the plans, and correctly making proper gear/cylinder sizes for the mechanics. But anyways, any ideas on what to make for a wooden automata would also be appreciated. Thanks.

Lithuanian pride world wide!: sun doesnt revolve around the sun

Offline Jman

• NO FUN ALLOWED
  • Old Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +9999
  • Respect: +805
    • Random Gaming
Re: Current Projects
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 06:25:12 PM »
Jman - Chat

That's how you print.

Offline Sabb

• 2009 Snowball Competition WinnerWindows UserOld Forum MemberDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 08:42:25 PM »
Jman - Chat

That's how you print.
wat

Offline Alkaline

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +430
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 01:57:26 PM »

I am not sure how to isolate objects so you can print them individually.

You can also go to Window > Model Info > Units to change the units you are working in.
AND since you are going to print them out, use the Dimensions Tool in the Tools tab so you can create visual dimension lines to show specific measurements.

If you are planning on going to more professional layouts/blueprints, I recommend you start working with AutoCAD, as it has a larger spectrum of tools and precision than google sketchup.

You can get the educational version for free off of the Autodesk website. (The DL for the file is around 3GB if that affects you.)
A Man named William Reed's last living testament says that he is going to read his own will.

Will Reed's will will read "Will Reed will read Will Reed's will"

Offline Sabb

View More Badges!

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 07:19:06 AM »

I am not sure how to isolate objects so you can print them individually.

You can also go to Window > Model Info > Units to change the units you are working in.
AND since you are going to print them out, use the Dimensions Tool in the Tools tab so you can create visual dimension lines to show specific measurements.

If you are planning on going to more professional layouts/blueprints, I recommend you start working with AutoCAD, as it has a larger spectrum of tools and precision than google sketchup.

You can get the educational version for free off of the Autodesk website. (The DL for the file is around 3GB if that affects you.)
Thanks, I actually just found some programs and stuff yesterday so that I could do those things but print it out properly, so I'm going to try that soon and I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks for the help.
I'm going to leave this thread open in case anyone gets ideas for models I could make, though.

Oh, and I'll look into AutoCAD. I heard the name a few times while searching, didn't really hear much about it though. I'll probably download it and fool around with it today, thanks.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:21:03 AM by Sabb »