Author Topic: Bunny hopping?  (Read 187 times)

Offline Alkaline

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

Bunny hopping?
« on: February 05, 2012, 05:30:06 PM »
Recently, I have noticed a few players bunny hopping at speeds almost double what they would be if they just walked. So fast that it just looked plain artificial and robotic.

The only two possible things (that I could think of) were that they could be:
(a) using a script with bypass
(b) using their scroll wheel with the jump bind

I decided to try out the scroll wheel bind trick with my own mouse since I could unlock the wheel and make it spin freely. There was always a delay in between jumps no matter how fast I spun the wheel.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj02ldo95mU

Here is a video, three clips, of one person bunny hopping ingame (Mayan).
It's from my perspective when I was playing.
His jumping is consistent and he picks up tremendous speed occasionally.

I decided to make a topic here as I am unsure how to deal with players like this.
Like I said, this seems so artificial and I don't think a player would go through the hassle of wearing out his scroll wheel when he could be using a script.
A Man named William Reed's last living testament says that he is going to read his own will.

Will Reed's will will read "Will Reed will read Will Reed's will"

Offline Shawn

• Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• IGM: Shawn /Steam ID: Shawnchapp
    • The Vault
Re: Bunny hopping?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 06:01:06 PM »
I think they bind it to mouse 3 where you just have to hold the button down and you keep jumping non stop I'm not sure about that though Smasters seems to be the best to answer this everytime i play with that guy in CSS he just flys through courses with his b-hops...

Offline Deacon

• The righteous rise, with burning eyes
  • DonatorDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• of hatred and ill-will
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 09:08:43 PM »
I think they bind it to mouse 3 where you just have to hold the button down and you keep jumping non stop I'm not sure about that though Smasters seems to be the best to answer this everytime i play with that guy in CSS he just flys through courses with his b-hops...

Smasters scripts.

Scripts are "anything that will give you an unfair advantage" and are not allowed.
Bhopping too fast is a sign of a script because you can't gain too much speed without sv_airaccelerate being higher than normal.

Offline Shawn

• Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• IGM: Shawn /Steam ID: Shawnchapp
    • The Vault
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 08:24:25 AM »
Smasters scripts.

I KNEW IT!!! Must get script

Offline Alkaline

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 05:08:19 PM »
Sorry for the bump but this board isn't active and I thought I'd just continue where I left off.

Upon a recent discovery, I found out that bhopping doesn't have to involve scripts. By setting fps_max to a specific number that you can google, you can bind jump to your scroll wheel and basically jump every time you touch the ground. This combined with alternating "a" and "d" will let you gain an enormous amount of speed. As far as scripting goes, a lua script ( plus a bypass ) that checks if the player is touching the ground could be used OR a .cfg that spams jump on keypress. Sadly, there is no definitive way to know if a player is using a script as they could be using the scroll wheel approach.

If this is seen as an unfair advantage, how can this be prevented?

Change sv_airaccelerate.
Add a 1 second cooldown time for jumping.

This is only a problem on Zombie Survival and Fretta unlike TTT.
A Man named William Reed's last living testament says that he is going to read his own will.

Offline Sabb

• 2009 Snowball Competition WinnerWindows UserOld Forum MemberDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 06:17:55 PM »
Sorry for the bump but this board isn't active and I thought I'd just continue where I left off.

Upon a recent discovery, I found out that bhopping doesn't have to involve scripts. By setting fps_max to a specific number that you can google, you can bind jump to your scroll wheel and basically jump every time you touch the ground. This combined with alternating "a" and "d" will let you gain an enormous amount of speed. As far as scripting goes, a lua script ( plus a bypass ) that checks if the player is touching the ground could be used OR a .cfg that spams jump on keypress. Sadly, there is no definitive way to know if a player is using a script as they could be using the scroll wheel approach.

If this is seen as an unfair advantage, how can this be prevented?

Change sv_airaccelerate.
Add a 1 second cooldown time for jumping.

This is only a problem on Zombie Survival and Fretta unlike TTT.
Lol, all of that is basics. Everyone who knows how to bhop knows about that stuff. I suck at bhopping but can generally do it somewhat, but can't really gain speed unless the airaccelerate is set high. The fps_max thing honestly is stupid, it's a preference and doesn't actually physically make you able to bunnyhop. People just find it easier to do it with a lower fps for some reason, but it's really not going to make the difference from you being able to bhop or not. Scripting is obviously quite possible in many ways for that but really the most you can do is make yourself automatically jump. Anyone can bhop though, you just need to learn how, and I honestly don't see a problem with it.
Obviously changing either of those settings that you recommended would be fine and would fairly easily eliminate bhopping but I kind of enjoy it. I guess I'm fine with it either way though.

Lithuanian pride world wide!: sun doesnt revolve around the sun

Offline Cryptokid

• Windows UserLinux UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• So I heard you like userbars
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 08:32:08 PM »
I see it as a fun and challenging way to get around. Some people are okay with it and others aren't. No one I have played with in zs has complained though, it really hasn't given me personally an advantage as zombie and fast zombies get me either way as human. Also, we can check if people are scripting if we could track their key presses like on Sass. This would be a useful feature to implement to spectate.

Offline Sabb

• 2009 Snowball Competition WinnerWindows UserOld Forum MemberDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 11:46:52 PM »
I see it as a fun and challenging way to get around. Some people are okay with it and others aren't. No one I have played with in zs has complained though, it really hasn't given me personally an advantage as zombie and fast zombies get me either way as human. Also, we can check if people are scripting if we could track their key presses like on Sass. This would be a useful feature to implement to spectate.
Even that's not really reliable though. I thought of the same thing, but it's just as easy to make a script to jump a bunch of times before during and after landing making it look like the person's using the scroll wheel.

Offline Alkaline

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 01:47:35 PM »
Lol, all of that is basics. Everyone who knows how to bhop knows about that stuff. I suck at bhopping but can generally do it somewhat, but can't really gain speed unless the airaccelerate is set high. The fps_max thing honestly is stupid, it's a preference and doesn't actually physically make you able to bunnyhop. People just find it easier to do it with a lower fps for some reason, but it's really not going to make the difference from you being able to bhop or not. Scripting is obviously quite possible in many ways for that but really the most you can do is make yourself automatically jump. Anyone can bhop though, you just need to learn how, and I honestly don't see a problem with it.
Obviously changing either of those settings that you recommended would be fine and would fairly easily eliminate bhopping but I kind of enjoy it. I guess I'm fine with it either way though.

Actually, setting fps_max to 34.8 affects input. I have a haxinn G9x Logitech with the unlocking scrollwheel, and if fps_max is set to 300, there's like a .5 second delay between jumps. With it set to 34.8, I jump everytime I touch the ground.

Sabb, I WILL convince you the fps_max trick DOES help.

Offline Sabb

View More Badges!

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 02:08:46 PM »
Actually, setting fps_max to 34.8 affects input. I have a haxinn G9x Logitech with the unlocking scrollwheel, and if fps_max is set to 300, there's like a .5 second delay between jumps. With it set to 34.8, I jump everytime I touch the ground.

Sabb, I WILL convince you the fps_max trick DOES help.
The only way that helps is for lag though. the decimal shit is retarded. Basically the lower you have it the simply better. If you have a problem with some lag, then that's fine. But basically if you've normally got Garry's Mod running really well changing that isn't going to help. So it really is just a preference kind of.

Offline Cryptokid

• Windows UserLinux UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• So I heard you like userbars
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 04:31:22 PM »
The only way that helps is for lag though. the decimal shit is retarded. Basically the lower you have it the simply better. If you have a problem with some lag, then that's fine. But basically if you've normally got Garry's Mod running really well changing that isn't going to help. So it really is just a preference kind of.

A preference which I recall you refusing to use on Sass and subsequently suffering in Bhop  :P

Offline Sabb

View More Badges!

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 04:46:20 PM »
A preference which I recall you refusing to use on Sass and subsequently suffering in Bhop  :P
No I just couldn't bhop well enough to gain speed. I'm actually a decent amount better now and I don't have my fps max set to anything. I remember trying many times to see a different with and without fps max but I personally didn't notice anything.