Author Topic: Temporary Servers Coordination  (Read 113 times)

Offline Xrain

• DWO PlayerOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• XRain - King of TL;DR
Temporary Servers Coordination
« on: February 03, 2012, 04:30:15 AM »
Well, I think we should probably formalize a plan of action for who is going to do what as far a temp servers go.

I'll start off with my plan. This one is pretty set in stone, and I have already taken steps to get things into motion.

I will be hosting Wirebuild and TTT.
I'll be doing it from a DVS hosted by NuclearFallout Servers in Seattle.

I will keep these two servers up, full time from the day the servers go down (well close at least) Until coolz resumes his regular hosting.
I'm working with minic, to get most of the standard RND server side plugins going, as well as getting the player databases ready, and other miscellaneous stuff.

I will be operating in 3 or 6 month time blocks. The first time block will be 6 months, and if need be I would be willing to do up to 2 additional 3 month blocks in the case of what ever things coolz is dealing with takes longer than he expects. If coolz resumes hosting before one of the blocks expires, I would like to continue service for RnD from the servers (they can change to w/e game-mode) until the expiration of the time block. After-which I will take down the temp servers. Once coolz returns I will transfer any updated user date to coolz for the servers, and then we will play it by ear as far as what will be on the temp servers for the remaining time.

The time blocks are approximately as follows (give or take a day or two)
Primary:
1: 2/7/2012 - 8/7/2012

Optionally:
2: 8/7/2012 - 11/7/2012
3: 11/7/2012 - 2/7/2013

I'd recommend that anyone else who is intending to host temp servers focus on hosting the other game modes that have been prioritized several times, as well as the random TS3.

Once things on my server begin to settle down and most of the bugs are ironed out, we can start integrating the distributed servers (get global chat running, etc) as well as distributing out the user database if needed.

PS: Coolz if something about this plan doesn't work for you let me know.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 04:32:11 AM by Xrain »
" I don't take square roots, I make them. Then I set them out to cool after I baked them for 40 minutes."
"It's Canadia, not Chlamydia."
"Hold on I just have to ddos myself"
~Coolzeldad~

"I'm like 12 in my head" screen when I do video?"
~Minic~

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Some music shit I made
Re: Temporary Servers Coordination
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 09:14:51 AM »
As I've said previously, my servers are capable of handling up to four source servers.

Preferably, I'd like to host Fretta and the Rotation for as long as I can until the normal servers come back up.

I'm willing to give you (or whoever else) any required information they need or want for said servers.

My question is this though,

assuming coolz isn't able to get a box set up with Moo, whose going to be hosting the database with all the ranks?

As for Ts3, I already have a 64-bit install ready for connection, so no need to worry about that. Once the actual servers go down, I'll have it autoboot and run whenever my server is online.

What DNS would you guys prefer I use? While I can hand out actual IP's, I'd prefer to use the DNS in case (for whatever reason,) I have to move the server. The current DNS is azuremc.dyndns.org, but I can always set up a second one to point to, say, rndtemp.dyndns.org or whatever. I'll let you guy decide what you think would be better a better name for something like that.

Xrain, if I don't have you added, I'd like to. I think it'd be easier for us to coordinate specific things through steam, rather than over the forums.

//edit, I might also need to do a bit of testing beforehand too.

I had set up a "just to fuck around" TTT a while ago when the servers were down. We hit 13 players without having any serious lag issues, it was only when new rounds came around and it had to respawn all the entities that it seemed to stutter more than usual. Not sure how fretta would run, considering the variety of gamemodes coded on different levels, but I'm confident stronghold (rotation) would run fine with it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 09:17:53 AM by Tachikoma M.D. »

Check out my Soundcloud for some neat stuff!

Offline Sabb

• 2009 Snowball Competition WinnerWindows UserOld Forum MemberDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 08:48:59 PM »
Well, I think we should probably formalize a plan of action for who is going to do what as far a temp servers go.

I'll start off with my plan. This one is pretty set in stone, and I have already taken steps to get things into motion.

I will be hosting Wirebuild and TTT.
I'll be doing it from a DVS hosted by NuclearFallout Servers in Seattle.

I will keep these two servers up, full time from the day the servers go down (well close at least) Until coolz resumes his regular hosting.
I'm working with minic, to get most of the standard RND server side plugins going, as well as getting the player databases ready, and other miscellaneous stuff.

I will be operating in 3 or 6 month time blocks. The first time block will be 6 months, and if need be I would be willing to do up to 2 additional 3 month blocks in the case of what ever things coolz is dealing with takes longer than he expects. If coolz resumes hosting before one of the blocks expires, I would like to continue service for RnD from the servers (they can change to w/e game-mode) until the expiration of the time block. After-which I will take down the temp servers. Once coolz returns I will transfer any updated user date to coolz for the servers, and then we will play it by ear as far as what will be on the temp servers for the remaining time.

The time blocks are approximately as follows (give or take a day or two)
Primary:
1: 2/7/2012 - 8/7/2012

Optionally:
2: 8/7/2012 - 11/7/2012
3: 11/7/2012 - 2/7/2013

I'd recommend that anyone else who is intending to host temp servers focus on hosting the other game modes that have been prioritized several times, as well as the random TS3.

Once things on my server begin to settle down and most of the bugs are ironed out, we can start integrating the distributed servers (get global chat running, etc) as well as distributing out the user database if needed.

PS: Coolz if something about this plan doesn't work for you let me know.
If Moo is able to help coolz out and lend him his connection, you won't be needing to host a TTT?
Not sure if you are just assuming that he's not or w.e but yea...
Correct me if I'm wrong as I TL;DR'd.

Lithuanian pride world wide!: sun doesnt revolve around the sun

Offline Xrain

• DWO PlayerOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• XRain - King of TL;DR
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 10:41:36 PM »
Nope I'll host TTT and Wirebuild no matter what case.

I chose TTT as it's an important server, but doesn't require as much overhead since wirebuild is going to eat a lot of resources. Felt like a good pairing to me, as I want to make sure I effectively use the capacity of my VDS.

Plus the two servers I play on are TTT and Wire so might as well host those.

As I've said previously, my servers are capable of handling up to four source servers.

Preferably, I'd like to host Fretta and the Rotation for as long as I can until the normal servers come back up.

I'm willing to give you (or whoever else) any required information they need or want for said servers.

My question is this though,

assuming coolz isn't able to get a box set up with Moo, whose going to be hosting the database with all the ranks?

As for Ts3, I already have a 64-bit install ready for connection, so no need to worry about that. Once the actual servers go down, I'll have it autoboot and run whenever my server is online.

What DNS would you guys prefer I use? While I can hand out actual IP's, I'd prefer to use the DNS in case (for whatever reason,) I have to move the server. The current DNS is azuremc.dyndns.org, but I can always set up a second one to point to, say, rndtemp.dyndns.org or whatever. I'll let you guy decide what you think would be better a better name for something like that.

Xrain, if I don't have you added, I'd like to. I think it'd be easier for us to coordinate specific things through steam, rather than over the forums.

//edit, I might also need to do a bit of testing beforehand too.

I had set up a "just to fuck around" TTT a while ago when the servers were down. We hit 13 players without having any serious lag issues, it was only when new rounds came around and it had to respawn all the entities that it seemed to stutter more than usual. Not sure how fretta would run, considering the variety of gamemodes coded on different levels, but I'm confident stronghold (rotation) would run fine with it.

So for the user database, I'm thinking we will just use local copies of the database for each server, and maybe update it once a day/week/w.e

Otherwise every time a map loads, the server would need to query the main database and search for the users, I'm thinking this might use excessive amounts of bandwidth, and be very slow to update.  The VIP's are locked so I cant imagine that the data base will change too much.

We do run the risk of someone getting banned from one server and being able to go to the others, but source bans at lease should send a ban user command to all of the networked servers.
" I don't take square roots, I make them. Then I set them out to cool after I baked them for 40 minutes."
"It's Canadia, not Chlamydia."
"Hold on I just have to ddos myself"
~Coolzeldad~

"I'm like 12 in my head" screen when I do video?"
~Minic~

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Some music shit I made
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 12:59:17 AM »
So for the user database, I'm thinking we will just use local copies of the database for each server, and maybe update it once a day/week/w.e

Otherwise every time a map loads, the server would need to query the main database and search for the users, I'm thinking this might use excessive amounts of bandwidth, and be very slow to update.  The VIP's are locked so I cant imagine that the data base will change too much.

We do run the risk of someone getting banned from one server and being able to go to the others, but source bans at lease should send a ban user command to all of the networked servers.
That'd be fine. As long as I have a up-to-date list of all the members and their ranks, that should be fine (unless we were going to start off fresh and just re-promote people).

What actual files from the main servers will be distributed? I'm assuming the code for the global chat system will be one, but are there any other resources that I/we'd be able to use?

And will we be using rNd's sourcebans, or will we have to setup our own? I'll start installing content n' stuff like sourcemod tomorrow for the Fretta and Rotation.

Just let me know what else you'd need from me that would help make this entire thing run smoother.

Check out my Soundcloud for some neat stuff!

Offline coolzeldad

• OwnerDonatorOld Forum MemberrNd DeveloperLinux UserWindows UserDog LoverLeague PlayerDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• I eat ddos for breakfast OMNOMONOM
    • .:`=-~rANdOm~`-=:. Game Servers
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 05:34:50 PM »
ehm.. lets see

I don't think the idea of ranks and shiz will work out well.. setting up a system managing db cross server communication is possible but i dun think necessary. A centralized db would be nice however to keep user consistency across servers, but personally I don't think I would reuse the changes to db when reviving the servers. And yea, bandwidth could be a concern depending on how db is being pulled and updated (assuming it's not on same box as one of the servers). NOT sure about bans being handled this way either..

Imo I would probably start from scratch on ranks, knowing current admins w/e since its your individual server and manage differently from how I manage.

I might be able to transfer the dupes to xrain but i'm not sure yet, not like i asked people if i could hand over dupes.. idk maybe I'm being weird with that. And not sure about distributing any code or addons? If I was to continue that route I'd be sending everyone gbs of data almost like a full server migration... and I don't think that's best idea in these circumstances.
 ▲
▲▲Big thanks to Marie for this awesome sprite! :3

Spoiler: Moar Imagez (click to show/hide)
pingaz
Thanks Cryptokid!

Thanks gamefreak!

-- My youtube: http://www.youtube.com/coolzeldad
-- My deviantart: http://coolzeldad.deviantart.com
-- My soundcloud: http://www.soundcloud.com/coolzeldad
-- My ustream: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/coolzeldapingaz
-- My twitchtv: http://www.twitch.tv/coolzeldad

-- rNd Wiki: http://wiki.randomgs.com
-- rNd Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/RandomgsProductions
-- rNd Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/r_A_N_d_O_m

Spoiler: rNd Typography (click to show/hide)

Every time you download Garry's Mod illegally, Garry makes a bug.

When people ask me "Plz" because its shorter than "Please" I feel perfectly justified to answer "No" because its shorter than "Yes".

derp herp lerp perp kerp serp zerp - say faiv timez fazt

Offline Sabb

• 2009 Snowball Competition WinnerWindows UserOld Forum MemberDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 05:46:34 PM »
So... we will technically have two TTT servers?
Honestly, if that's the case, then maybe one shouldn't be hosted off of one of coolz' boxes?

Lithuanian pride world wide!: sun doesnt revolve around the sun

Offline Tomcat

• Your Argument is Inert
  • Donator
    View More Badges!

• Wat Do?
    • Tomcat's blog
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 06:03:08 PM »
ehm.. lets see

I don't think the idea of ranks and shiz will work out well.. setting up a system managing db cross server communication is possible but i dun think necessary. A centralized db would be nice however to keep user consistency across servers, but personally I don't think I would reuse the changes to db when reviving the servers. And yea, bandwidth could be a concern depending on how db is being pulled and updated (assuming it's not on same box as one of the servers). NOT sure about bans being handled this way either..

Imo I would probably start from scratch on ranks, knowing current admins w/e since its your individual server and manage differently from how I manage.

I might be able to transfer the dupes to xrain but i'm not sure yet, not like i asked people if i could hand over dupes.. idk maybe I'm being weird with that. And not sure about distributing any code or addons? If I was to continue that route I'd be sending everyone gbs of data almost like a full server migration... and I don't think that's best idea in these circumstances.

We could have one small centralized server where ranks are stored and updated and have it cron out the script every 24-48 hours