Author Topic: WarEclipse's GMod Server - TTT, Dogfight Arcade, Sandbox, etc.  (Read 221 times)

Offline WarEclipse™

• Hello, I'm WarEclipse.
  • Respect: +4
WarEclipse's GMod Server - TTT, Dogfight Arcade, Sandbox, etc.
« on: February 04, 2012, 04:25:59 PM »
Hey everyone. I'm not trying to advertise - but the rNd servers are going to be offline for a few months, anyway. So listen: I have this server on Garry's Mod. Just one server. It's not 24/7 yet, but i'm totally working on having it running that way. However, at the moment, the server is a listen server and it will be running such gamemodes like TTT, Zombie Survival, Sandbox, and mabye even Dogfight arcade. I have maps for those gamemodes. Maps you can download - sometimes even maps from rNd. I can pretty much tell you that those types of gamemodes will, ofcourse, be playing at certain times during the day. It's not automatic, but it's fair if someone gets bored playing sandbox and just wants to play some TTT, or whatever. My friend, a buddy of mine who plays rANdOm (and my server,) Dea1hs1rike got me into this idea. You see, I created a server because since rANdOm was gonna be offline for the next couple of months...why not? Anyway, I can guarantee you that you'll find a bunch of tools like stacker, weightstool, Connas' Tools, ULX(Admin/Mod), and you won't find any lag as long as your router is working and my server is running...no DDoses, no Hacks (including sethhacks/speedhacks) - therefor, my server is anti-hackable, right? Soo...as for my steam group, here's the link if you'd like to join:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/wareclipsessandbox

Again, i'm not advertising. Atleast...I wouldn't consider this advertising - since, you know....rANdOm's Servers are going to be offline for a while anyway. But I appreciate you folks reading this message of mine. If you're a TTT, Sandbox, ZS, or even a Dogfight type of person, then feel free to take a ticket all the way to WarEclipse's Awesome GMod Server. You won't regret it, I promise!

~WarEclipse.

Oh, and P.S: It may not be as good as rNd, but I still hope you all give it a try!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 04:32:17 PM by WarEclipse™ »

Offline blαh2355

• Welcome to aperture science!
  • League PlayerWindows User
    View More Badges!

• May we perform tests on you?
  • Respect: +978
Re: WarEclipse's GMod Server - TTT, Dogfight Arcade, Sandbox, etc.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 04:59:16 PM »
This is nice, I just hope it works and stuff. How do you know it's DDOS proof?

Offline memo3300

• Windows UserOld Forum MemberLeague PlayerDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• the measure of a man is what he does with power
  • Respect: +251
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 05:27:07 PM »
wait till the admins set up their servers, then you can see if there is a gamemode missing that the comunity would like and asdf

S[hes] Br[ok]en

Offline Tezuni

• Respect: +162
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 05:54:44 PM »
Are you hosting from your home PC on your home connection?
The average home upload speed is really low, and you may find that it becomes strained at a very small player amount.

But if you've got it all planned out, sounds like fun.  Keep us updated  :)

Offline WarEclipse™

• Hello, I'm WarEclipse.
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 06:12:10 PM »
Are you hosting from your home PC on your home connection?
The average home upload speed is really low, and you may find that it becomes strained at a very small player amount.

But if you've got it all planned out, sounds like fun.  Keep us updated  :)

I'm hosting from my home PC - You see, it's simple - Download rate is totally fine, it's gonna download files to my pc if you have missing files and all, but it depends on how many files you have to download and how long it'll take to download them. But as for planning out the other stuff, like how many servers ill host; I'll probably host one or two- Depending on how many admins/moderators i'll be able to hold and all. Depends on what gamemodes everyone likes to play - could be TTT, could be Zombie Survival, you know...those gamemodes. Might aswell make a few servers for different gamemodes, eh?  ;)

This is nice, I just hope it works and stuff. How do you know it's DDOS proof?

Well, thing is, for the past few years i've owned this one server of mine. It's been shutdown a few times - due to some problems, like Game errors, game crashes, etc. Which basically means that I had to uninstall garry's mod manually one time in which would reset the server and activate the default scripts and stuff, you know? In other words, server addons go bye-bye. But anyway, i can tell you that so far I haven't had any DDoses for the past couple of years hosting a server and I assure you there won't be any for us in the future. But I belive it depends on certain things having to do with the Server Hardware. You see, I have this router with certain types of port numbers in it. It has it's own protective firewall for my server(s)/ports. And if it gets breached, all goes to hell. But it won't be breached - it's undoubtly powerful against some others' hardware. Meaning that if someone has some sort of technology to hack some servers (but not most,) then my router won't get breached. It's pretty complicated yet simple - atleast to me, it is. But I can 99% Guarantee you that there will be NO DDoses on my servers. That's a promise, not a threat. And If someone messes with my servers, then they better prepare for the consequences.  ^-^ Not a single doubt, if you ask me.

Offline Tezuni

• Respect: +162
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 06:21:37 PM »
I was meaning upload speed, because just people being on the server alone, takes upload speed.  Uploading files to them during loading takes addition upload speed.
For example I used to host for another game from my home computer, but it took roughly 32 KB/s per person in upload speed for comfortable gameplay.
Therefore, I could only manage like 6-10 people comfortably, and with 20 people their pings would be 300+

Offline WarEclipse™

• Hello, I'm WarEclipse.
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 06:26:48 PM »
 :D I wouldn't really worry about that anymore, because I got that cleared up a year and 3-4 Months ago.

Offline Xrain

• DWO PlayerOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• XRain - King of TL;DR
  • Respect: +635
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 06:57:38 PM »
+5
Well, thing is, for the past few years i've owned this one server of mine. It's been shutdown a few times - due to some problems, like Game errors, game crashes, etc. Which basically means that I had to uninstall garry's mod manually one time in which would reset the server and activate the default scripts and stuff, you know? In other words, server addons go bye-bye. But anyway, i can tell you that so far I haven't had any DDoses for the past couple of years hosting a server and I assure you there won't be any for us in the future. But I belive it depends on certain things having to do with the Server Hardware. You see, I have this router with certain types of port numbers in it. It has it's own protective firewall for my server(s)/ports. And if it gets breached, all goes to hell. But it won't be breached - it's undoubtly powerful against some others' hardware. Meaning that if someone has some sort of technology to hack some servers (but not most,) then my router won't get breached. It's pretty complicated yet simple - atleast to me, it is. But I can 99% Guarantee you that there will be NO DDoses on my servers. That's a promise, not a threat. And If someone messes with my servers, then they better prepare for the consequences.  ^-^ Not a single doubt, if you ask me.

A few notes:

1. You have never been a victum of a DDoS attack, perhaps maybe a small DoS.

2. There is no router in existence that can guereentee you safe from DDoS attacks.

A DoS attack primarily works through two different methods of attacks:
     a. Send so many requests that it saturates the capabilities of the server/routing equipment
     b. Send so many requests that it saturates the internet connection to the server.

There is routing equipment that can handle most attacks of the first kind, but the real equipment costs on the order of $15,000 to $200,000+

As for the second, the only real way to mitigate attacks like this is would be to get a sufficiently large connection that you are able to handle the increase in traffic, but if someone is really serious about attacking you there is only so big of a connection you can get before things around you start going down.

A more elegant method (and a bit more economical) is to have redundant servers, so basically someone performs an attack on you, and instead of having a single large connection, you distribute the load to multiple servers.
In the end all these methods have limits to what they can handle and will be brought down with a sufficiently large attack.

So unless you got a router from a top-secret government laboratory, your just as vulnerable to DoS attacks as anyone else.

As for your informing us of your server, I appreciate you offering it to the community it's great that you guys are willing to help us out like this. But for now, we are currently working on getting most if not all of the servers up for during the down time. So we shouldn't really have that large of a loss of service.

Otherwise you are more than welcome to apply to be a partner server, and be listed along with our other partners. I don't really know who you talk to about this, probably coolz but good luck anyway!
" I don't take square roots, I make them. Then I set them out to cool after I baked them for 40 minutes."
"It's Canadia, not Chlamydia."
"Hold on I just have to ddos myself"
~Coolzeldad~

"I'm like 12 in my head" screen when I do video?"
~Minic~

Offline WarEclipse™

• Hello, I'm WarEclipse.
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 08:11:14 AM »
A few notes:

1. You have never been a victum of a DDoS attack, perhaps maybe a small DoS.

2. There is no router in existence that can guereentee you safe from DDoS attacks.

A DoS attack primarily works through two different methods of attacks:
     a. Send so many requests that it saturates the capabilities of the server/routing equipment
     b. Send so many requests that it saturates the internet connection to the server.

There is routing equipment that can handle most attacks of the first kind, but the real equipment costs on the order of $15,000 to $200,000+

As for the second, the only real way to mitigate attacks like this is would be to get a sufficiently large connection that you are able to handle the increase in traffic, but if someone is really serious about attacking you there is only so big of a connection you can get before things around you start going down.

A more elegant method (and a bit more economical) is to have redundant servers, so basically someone performs an attack on you, and instead of having a single large connection, you distribute the load to multiple servers.
In the end all these methods have limits to what they can handle and will be brought down with a sufficiently large attack.

So unless you got a router from a top-secret government laboratory, your just as vulnerable to DoS attacks as anyone else.

As for your informing us of your server, I appreciate you offering it to the community it's great that you guys are willing to help us out like this. But for now, we are currently working on getting most if not all of the servers up for during the down time. So we shouldn't really have that large of a loss of service.

Otherwise you are more than welcome to apply to be a partner server, and be listed along with our other partners. I don't really know who you talk to about this, probably coolz but good luck anyway!

Well, you're right about that. Everything you said. But I've never had a 'DDos' problem...not in a while, atleast. But I can tell you that every now and then my server isn't up, so mabye that would be where the problem kicks in. Because usually when i'm on rNd, my server is down and rNd is getting some pretty bad DDos. Well, you see, I have to agree with you that not all types of routers/hardware would manage to keep hackers/ddosers away, but so far I just haven't had any as long as i've had my hardware. Probably because my server isn't exactly 24/7 or something, but you're right, I'm vulnerable to some types of ddos. I mean, I could be vulnerable to some pretty bad hackers. And I can tell you that I usually may be, but i'm working on getting myself some more hardware to stop that. And when you said that you (basically the rANdOm Network,) said that it wouldn't be much of a large of loss for you, I still thought it'd be nice to try and get the info out about my server because I worked hard to create this...added alot of attention and work into it and it wasn't really easy. Belive it or not, I did this by myself. And if you knew how how hard it was, you would understand. I'm sure you do, but i'm just saying.

Otherwise you are more than welcome to apply to be a partner server, and be listed along with our other partners. I don't really know who you talk to about this, probably coolz

I'm glad to apply to be a partner server. And i'd be very happy to aswell be listed along with everyone else. I don't talk to people like coolz with this, either. Personally I'd just rather apply and kind of fit in with a partner like everyone else, but not with them. Probably more like with you, but you see what I mean, right....? I would talk to coolz about this, but I don't know if he'd really listen. Not to use such an excuse about it - but coolz is a busy man and I realize most of you Administrators are aswell, and I hope I don't bother you. But either way, I'm just hosting a server for as long as rNd is down if that works; but otherwise I wouldn't host a server if rANdOm were up. I just made one for everyone else...including my friends, but mabye even for me, too. Still, I appreciate the info you gave me about router types; because mabye i'll be able to gain enough money someday to afford some type of anti-ddos router, eh? Thanks!

~WarEclipse

Offline coolzeldad

• OwnerDonatorOld Forum MemberrNd DeveloperLinux UserWindows UserDog LoverLeague PlayerDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• I eat ddos for breakfast OMNOMONOM
  • Respect: +2711
    • .:`=-~rANdOm~`-=:. Game Servers
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 11:52:38 AM »
+2
6:14 AM - |WeSO]WarEclips€*: Hey Coolz. I just thought that it would be pretty nice to make my own servers for games like TTT, ZS, Fretta, DogFight Arcade (which your servers don't have,) and even sandbox. However, I have one server at the moment which means that sometimes I might consider changing the gamemodes depending on a majority of votes. You see, I use this admin/mod on my server called 'ULX/Ulib'. Mabye you've heard of it - it's an advanced admin mod for servers just so you can use commands on other players ingame (like !jail, !god, !slap, etc.) and more importantly, I'm gonna need admins. I have 2 Admins at the moment -- One, is a friend of mine: WaywardxBandit. And the other one is a friend of mine who plays rANdOm servers often. That would be Dea1hS1rike. Anyway, about my server(s)...I will be hosting one because I'm not able to create any other ones at the moment because i'm so lazy. But however, I'm actually working on making my server or Servers 24/7 or either dedicated - And by that I mean i'm going to set it up where I can host a server/server(s) without having to be on it. Because at the moment i'm hosting a listening server, I'd have to be IN it for it to be online and ... I got it all planned. Seems simple but you know, since you're a server owner yourself, it's kind of easy. And just so you know, I'm not really trying to say my server's better than yours or anything and I am totally not trying to advertise it, but i'm just saying that if you want to, you can join, and mabye invite your other friends if you'd like - I also have this group of mine for members that have played on my server/servers. So...yeah. But anyway, you don't have to join - if you want the ip of my server then feel free to let me know. But...it won't be online the whole day straight every single day. Oh, and the past few years of being a server owner myself, I haven't gotten any DDoses or hackers so far. Infact, my server is lag-free guaranteed - I also made it myself ... not to brag about it, but in my opinion I am kind of amazed of what I did ... lol

Okay, just a few things. This thread is complete advertisement of your listen server and your steam group. Even if servers went offline for a few days, it would still be advertising your group and server to the community.

You also seem to bring about a tingling of arrogance with your server, how it's superior to others, as well as deserving VIP... but not really right? You think you deserve it but not to SAY you deserve it... you think it's better because well you put in the effort and it was huge effort, but not to brag right? I'm pointing out here how irrational your statements seem to me.

I guarantee that if a minge joins server and spawns 2000 crates your server would lag pretty decently, maybe I'm wrong...

And yes we do host dogfight arcade on the fretta server, ttt on it's own server, zs on its own, and sandbox on its own.

At least to me, your messages and responses seem to give off this effect. Not trying to be a dick or anything, but I don't usually promote people who act like this - maybe a hint to why you haven't been unanimously voted for VIP? :/

And if your intentions are in fact good, I do appreciate the effort to run a server... I'm just trying to help you out from my perspective :/
 ▲
▲▲Big thanks to Marie for this awesome sprite! :3

Spoiler: Moar Imagez (click to show/hide)
pingaz
Thanks Cryptokid!

Thanks gamefreak!

-- My youtube: http://www.youtube.com/coolzeldad
-- My deviantart: http://coolzeldad.deviantart.com
-- My soundcloud: http://www.soundcloud.com/coolzeldad
-- My ustream: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/coolzeldapingaz
-- My twitchtv: http://www.twitch.tv/coolzeldad

-- rNd Wiki: http://wiki.randomgs.com
-- rNd Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/RandomgsProductions
-- rNd Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/r_A_N_d_O_m

Spoiler: rNd Typography (click to show/hide)

Every time you download Garry's Mod illegally, Garry makes a bug.

When people ask me "Plz" because its shorter than "Please" I feel perfectly justified to answer "No" because its shorter than "Yes".

derp herp lerp perp kerp serp zerp - say faiv timez fazt

Offline ChaosEternal

• Lord of All Walls
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 11:59:16 AM »
Okay, just a few things. This thread is complete advertisement of your listen server and your steam group. Even if servers went offline for a few days, it would still be advertising your group and server to the community.

You also seem to bring about a tingling of arrogance with your server, how it's superior to others, as well as deserving VIP... but not really right? You think you deserve it but not to SAY you deserve it... you think it's better because well you put in the effort and it was huge effort, but not to brag right? I'm pointing out here how irrational your statements seem to me.

I guarantee that if a minge joins server and spawns 2000 crates your server would lag pretty decently, maybe I'm wrong...

And yes we do host dogfight arcade on the fretta server, ttt on it's own server, zs on its own, and sandbox on its own.

At least to me, your messages and responses seem to give off this effect. Not trying to be a dick or anything, but I don't usually promote people who act like this - maybe a hint to why you haven't been unanimously voted for VIP? :/

And if your intentions are in fact good, I do appreciate the effort to run a server... I'm just trying to help you out from my perspective :/

I'm guessing he is both trying to give people an alternative server because  originally it sounded like RND would be gone for 3-6 months, while at the same time not sound like a total jerk by semi-advertising his server as an alternative while people wait for RND to come back. Pretty hard to do both at the same time, since they are conflicting goals. He does just want to help us out it would seem, so he does have good intentions. ^.^

Oh, and since RND will be pretty much be the same by the sounds of it, this whole issue should become a moot point soon enough.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 12:02:40 PM by ChaosEternal »

"If the human brain were so simple that we could understand it, we would be so simple that we couldn't."

Offline coolzeldad

• OwnerDonatorOld Forum MemberrNd DeveloperLinux UserWindows UserDog LoverLeague PlayerDWO Player
    View More Badges!

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 12:31:40 PM »
Hmm maybe I took it the wrong way then.
 ▲

pingaz
Thanks Cryptokid!

Thanks gamefreak!

When people ask me "Plz" because its shorter than "Please" I feel perfectly justified to answer "No" because its shorter than "Yes".

Offline WarEclipse™

• Hello, I'm WarEclipse.
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 12:50:43 PM »
Coolzeldad... I read what you posted and I don't know exactly what you're saying...but here's my point of view: You think that (for example) I play CS:S with you sometimes just to get VIP from you. Or basically try and 'advertise' my server to try and get popularity to do this and that-But No, that's not what I'm doing. I'm trying to read your perspective here but I'm just flatout confused. You see, I just play CSS with you because I can and because I want to. I simply try and fit in with everyone else by trying to be nice to them and kind of get my server in the word by starting a topic and all...but you see, I'm not just doing this for VIP, for Regular, or for admin. I'm just doing this stuff because I can. And not to be rude, but what the fuck does being a vip have to do with a topic of mine? Or is it all of them? If so, you ARE wrong. And if you're saying that if some mingebag or something joins my server and spawns 2000 boxes and that my server doesn't lag, YOU are wrong- That's just obvious bullshit. And I can't take it. I only applied for VIP anyway to just help others in ways I can't do as a Regular. I applied pretty early for regular/vip, if you ask me and everyone else around the forum...because I just joined and I may be posting too often around the forums and just trying to be funny or whatever just to get vip...and you're just Fucking wrong. You know what pisses me off? How you must think that I also bought Counter-Strike: Source just to play some fucking rNd games with you. Mabye you also think I bought garry's mod just to play rANdOm too and shit, well that's something neither of us can prove; but only suspect this as some sort of alt-account or some shit...but that's just dumb. I can't even fucking belive you. You act like some of the others around the forums making me look like some fucking dumbass trying to get something...oh, I don't know...mabye VIP. Mabye i'm the damn wrong one. I fucking applied on the forums because I thought it was a damn nice community, but nooo....you thought I'd do so just to get VIP or some shit. Fuck this, I tried to make friends here and tried to make a server for you and you fucking treat me like this.  >=(

Offline Don

• Respect: +1201
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 12:58:52 PM »
wowowowowow.

No one was trying to attack you.

Calm down.

You're taking this way too personal and are putting words in people's mouths that they haven't said.

PM me when you calmed down - for now I'll lock this.

Offline coolzeldad

View More Badges!

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 01:08:40 PM »
Hmm didn't treat you any which way, I was trying to be blunt because I felt people felt the same as I.

At most I try to help people, my intention is not to insult for personal charity. And I didn't bring up what games you play with people, whether you play with me or not.

I'm glad you like the community, but I think that the way you act is determining your place in the community, as in VIP promotion. This is how I see it when I read your comments and I felt like this was a place to let you know as the way you act is reflected in what you posted in this thread.

And tbh man, you don't have to defend the lag and ddos thing, I'm almost postive the source engine would have trouble with a minge spawning 2000 crates in each other.

I think that you actually see it yourself, pointing out your own activity without me even addressing it.

Whatever, I was trying to help, maybe thinking that you didn't see how I and a few others see it. No need to rage on here, it seems that my post has provoked some sort of anger targeted at something entirely separate.
 ▲

pingaz
Thanks Cryptokid!

Thanks gamefreak!