Author Topic: Looking to buy a new headset  (Read 164 times)

Offline omgodzilla

• That ass is cash.
  • Respect: +17
Looking to buy a new headset
« on: January 30, 2012, 10:30:58 PM »
I'm looking for a gaming headset with a mic and good sound quality. I'm willing to spend up to $150 on the headset, and I'd prefer it if I could purchase the headset off newegg.

Offline Supertoaster

• A completely superfluous bottle of cough syrup
  • Cat LoverWindows User
    View More Badges!

• Only six bucks
  • Respect: +1236
Re: Looking to buy a new headset
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 10:31:38 PM »
Razer Blackwidow is a good headset with good sound

Offline omgodzilla

• That ass is cash.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 10:42:27 PM »
Razer Blackwidow is a good headset with good sound

I already had a blackwidow but the mic broke on it.

Offline Samo

• N3RDSLAYA2003
  • Windows User
    View More Badges!

• So smug. So sly.
  • Respect: +158
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 11:40:09 PM »
Isnt the Blackwidow the keyboard?

Offline Osme

• Feel like whinin'?
  • Linux UserWindows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• Get some wine in.
  • Respect: +331
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 06:39:21 AM »
I recommend not getting a gaming "headset". Get a nice pair of earphones, and a clip on mic. Its infinitely better quality, and cheaper.
I recommend zm-mic1 for the mic, but thats just me, since its fairly good quality and only 5 USD
Code: [Select]
for(;;) procrastinate = !procrastinate;Damn emoticons

Offline ursus

• Linux UserCat LoverWindows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• drunkposting is the music of the soul
  • Respect: +1518
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 09:22:31 AM »
Razer headsets are REALLY comfortable.

I have an orca, and it's infinitely better than my old creative headset (even though there's no mic).

Offline Apie2

• WAAAAZAAHHHH, You can eat me O_o
  • Respect: +821
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 11:02:56 AM »
Roccat Kave.

Offline Osme

• Feel like whinin'?
    View More Badges!

• Get some wine in.
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 11:43:06 AM »
Headphones: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-280-Pro-Headphones/dp/B000065BPB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328038851&sr=8-1
mic: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029MTMQ?ie=UTF8&seller=A16PM08W2I2XBI&sn=fans4dell
Cheaper, and better quality part to buy separately. The crap quality mic they add to a headset bumps up the price a few hundred %
Those headphones are just a suggestion though.

Offline Deathstrike

• ASDF
  • Respect: +10
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 12:48:19 PM »
http://www.astrogaming.com/headsets/a30-headsets/a30-headset-astro-edition try this site ive been hearing good reviews about their products

Offline MetaHaze

• One more block!
  • Respect: +16
    • Youtube
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 03:50:34 AM »
http://www.astrogaming.com/headsets/a30-headsets/a30-headset-astro-edition try this site ive been hearing good reviews about their products
Headphones: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-280-Pro-Headphones/dp/B000065BPB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328038851&sr=8-1
mic: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029MTMQ?ie=UTF8&seller=A16PM08W2I2XBI&sn=fans4dell
Cheaper, and better quality part to buy separately. The crap quality mic they add to a headset bumps up the price a few hundred %
Those headphones are just a suggestion though.

Go with Degtyarev's post, if you want to save some money.

But if you want something more costly and more features, choose the Astro that Deathstrike posted.

Offline Osme

• Feel like whinin'?
    View More Badges!

• Get some wine in.
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 09:11:05 AM »
Go with Degtyarev's post, if you want to save some money.

But if you want something more costly and more features, choose the Astro that Deathstrike posted.
Specs:

Really...?

But astro headset looks like mediocre quality, and paying for the name and looks. For the price, even from a headset I would expect more (as in, the only feature is the mic and virtual 7.1)
I still recommend getting the zm-mic1 and a pair of headphones to save yourself a lot of money and get a better quality. You could even find a pair of virtual 7.1 headphones if you so desire, but I urge you to stay away from the headset area, unless its a generic 10 dollar pair, since as I said, the crap quality mic they slap on headphones bumps the price up a few hundred% more often than not.

Offline Supertoaster

• A completely superfluous bottle of cough syrup
  • Cat LoverWindows User
    View More Badges!

• Only six bucks
  • Respect: +1236
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 02:55:56 PM »
Specs:

Really...?

But astro headset looks like mediocre quality, and paying for the name and looks. For the price, even from a headset I would expect more (as in, the only feature is the mic and virtual 7.1)
I still recommend getting the zm-mic1 and a pair of headphones to save yourself a lot of money and get a better quality. You could even find a pair of virtual 7.1 headphones if you so desire, but I urge you to stay away from the headset area, unless its a generic 10 dollar pair, since as I said, the crap quality mic they slap on headphones bumps the price up a few hundred% more often than not.
This.

And Stay AWAY from Turtle Beach. The audio is pretty good but they have horrid build quality. I had two break in the same week.

ATM I have some Rosewill headset. I don't really like it. The sound has no bass at all (although clear) and the Microphone is meh. And it does not block out any sound at all. And it's big and clunky. Before I had this $20 logitech headset and it was super nice but broke in about a year and a half :(

Seinheisser makes very good headphones, btw. And Sony.

Offline omgodzilla

• That ass is cash.
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 06:03:18 PM »
Specs:

Really...?

I get your point, but I'd prefer to have a headset with an attached mic. I was thinking of getting a Razer Tiamat 2.2 when it comes out (sometime this month.) Are there any headsets or headset manufacturers out there who are bent on voice quality as well as sound quality?

Offline Osme

• Feel like whinin'?
    View More Badges!

• Get some wine in.
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 07:39:02 PM »
I get your point, but I'd prefer to have a headset with an attached mic. I was thinking of getting a Razer Tiamat 2.2 when it comes out (sometime this month.) Are there any headsets or headset manufacturers out there who are bent on voice quality as well as sound quality?
Is there a reason you *need* a mic attached? Because a mic that clips on (mic I suggested does) to the headphone cable is effectively the same thing as an attached mic.

Offline omgodzilla

• That ass is cash.
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 08:43:30 PM »
Is there a reason you *need* a mic attached? Because a mic that clips on (mic I suggested does) to the headphone cable is effectively the same thing as an attached mic.

I can't purchase a clip-on mic because I only use paypal for my online purchases. Amazon doesn't support paypal, and newegg.ca doesn't have any clip-on mics.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 09:00:20 PM by omgodzilla »