Author Topic: Rocket50's Guide to Winter Survival  (Read 369 times)

Offline Rocket50

• My god it's dusty
  • Respect: +946
Rocket50's Guide to Winter Survival
« on: October 02, 2010, 05:11:49 PM »
+7

Winter Survival has become quite popular now, more and more people are playing it, so I decided to make a Winter Survival Guide

1. Introduction

You are placed in a map, with an abundance of dropped resources scattered randomly across the map. You must out-live all the other players, even if it means cannibalism, or all out war, you must survive. You have two choices: Survive alone or with others. In small maps, collaboration is essential, pool in all your resources and you will all have a better chance. On the other hand, there might be a cannibal amongst you that just want your stuff and food, make a choice.   

2. The HUD

This is your most important indicator in game. If you even neglect one of these 4 things, you will die. The Survival HUD is split into 5 Parts, Constitution, Cold, Hunger, Fatigue, and Thirst. Constitution is the big white ring, and Cold, Hunger Fatigue, and Thirst are the small quarter ones. The quarter that is the biggest, or has expanded the farthest from the center, is the factor that is killing you, address it immediately.

Note: None of these are linked to each other, for example, cold does not increase rate of fatigue, Hunger does not increase cold, etc.

Constitution: It is the white  ring outside of your 4 coloured quarter rings. If it begins to jump out and in rapidly, and turns dark, you’re dying. 

Cold: This increases if you are not near a fire, build a fire as quick as possible and make sure you stay there most of the time. Going in the water increases this, the increment of the rate of cold increases by how much of your body is in the water. (Does not affect Fatigue, Vice Versa)

Hunger:
This increases if you haven’t eaten. Get berries from an antlion hill or eat meat or cooked, (Cooked Meat staves off hunger more). Build your camp beside a renewable food source, like an antlion hill.

Fatigue:
This increases if you jump around or sprint. Walking doesn’t increase this, neither does eating, drinking nor gathering resources with tools. Right now, this is the most crucial thing I need to fix, the ring of fatigue is bigger than all the others, Crouch or standing around will decrease it.

Thirst:
This increases over time if you haven’t drunk water. I prevent this by building near a lake or water source so it’s quick to access.

The L Item List:

It is the L shaped list on the left side of your screen, you can select items using the mouse wheel and use it with your left mouse click. You need to put the tools in your L item list, for you to use it, or, for food items, you can press e on the inventory screen to eat it.

3. Basic Resources and Items

These are things you need to craft new items, to make other items. Refer to the above picture if necessary.

Camp Fire:
The starting point of your round. It prevents dying of cold, and you can mine the rock at the base of the fire. (To place a campfire, move your campfire to your L Item selection, and use it like a tool)

Wood: Use it to hit others with mouse one, or you can throw it with mouse two. All beginning tools start with wood. Collect this by finding it or making an axe and cutting trees.

Rock:
Use it to collect sap from trees by pressing mouse one while in front of a tree. Alternatively, mouse two can throw it. This is an important resource, all beginning tools start with rock. Rocks can be mined with a pickaxe from the base of a fire, or from a rock. (Not Antlion Hills, Rocks can be found lying around )

Crystal: Needed to make a fire, but making a fire doesn’t use up a crystal. Crystals can be mined with a pickaxe from the base of  a fire or a rock, can also be found lying around(not antlion hill)

Sap: A part in the making of rope, basic tools, and later tools. Can be collected by smashing a rock, or using a knife on a tree

Meat: Can be found lying around on maps, and can be collected by killing other players, or killing a bird. You can cook meat by pressing e on a fire and putting it into the box, be careful, if you leave it for too long, it overcooks. Cooked meat is better than Uncooked or Burnt meat, it reduces more of hunger and fatigue.

Cooked Meat Reduces: Hunger, Fatigue, and Cold

Burnt Meat Reduces: Fatigue and Hunger

Raw Meat Reduces:
Fatigue and Hunger

Eggs (Raw and Cooked) Reduces: Hunger

Berries: A renewable food, you can endlessly get this by using a sickle to mine an antion hill. Berries reduce hunger and fatigue or you can use berries to make juice, which can lower your thirst to 0. Berries reduce hunger and fatigue.

Axes: Used for collecting wood. Pickaxes: Used for collecting wood. (Efficiency of tools as follows: Least efficient to Most efficient, Rock, Crystal, Diamond.)

Pickaxes: Used for collecting wood. (Efficiency of tools as follows: Least efficient to Most efficient, Rock, Crystal, Diamond.)

Note: Rock Picks can Mine: Rocks + Crystal

Crystal Picks can mine Crystal + Diamond

Diamond Picks can mine Rocks, Crystals, Diamonds

Knife: Most efficient tool to collect sap; faster than using a rock.

Sword: The most powerful melee weapon that deals more damage than rock or wood.

Bow: (Need arrows as ammo) The most powerful weapon in general; Can fire bows at quick intervals, barely any arcs, and instant kill.

Hammers: This is needed to build faster tools, depending on what tools you want to build, it can be crystal, or diamond. 

Sickle: Used to collect vine and berries from an antlion hill. You wouldn’t need to upgrade this.

Vine: Used in the making of rope, for better tools, you can collect this with a sickle on an antlion hill or find it lying around.

Antlion Hills: They are big rocks, like mining rocks, except a little different, you cannot get rocks from these, you can only get vine and berries by using a sickle.

Note: Some items look differently in your inventory screen than in the world. For instance, vine and crystal.

4. Crafting/ Tools

It is a fundamental of winter survival; Tools can gain you limitless food, and limitless resources, all you have to do, is get the resources to build them. Tools can be improved by using better and better resources, for example, rock tools are slow, and rather inefficient, while crystal tools can collect resources faster, and diamond is the best, it collects resources the fastest.

Note: For recipes http://forum.randomgs.com/index.php/topic,27.0.html

You place tools in the crafting box below by dragging it into the slots. After placing the right combination of resources, you press combine, this will show you to another screen of the recipes. The recipe list doesn't save, nor does it limit the things you can make to its list.

Remember, choosing the tool you want to make is vital for your starting point, for instance, if you have 5 rocks, 5 sap, and only 2 wood, why in the world would you make a pickaxe? Pickaxe combination = Rock
+ sap + wood + wood. Making a pickaxe will render you with no wood, and a pick axe just for more rocks. I would make an axe to get more wood, so then I can make a pickaxe so I can further my progress and vice versa. This is especially important when there is few resources, If you don’t choose carefully on which tools to make, you’re most likely going be stuck with that tool for the rest of the round.

Note: If you have more resources than the inventory screen can hold, it will put it BELOW the box, and you would need to drop items to see it. Build a barrel to help with this problem.

5. Surviving And Gathering Resources

As soon as you spawn, you should this survival pattern:

R: Resources

H: Heat (fire)

A: Apparatus (tools)

P: Position

E: Extra

Resources: Yes, it spells RHAPE. Let me explain, When you start off, start getting every resource you see, the most important to get first are rocks, wood, and crystal(s).

Heat:
After getting as many resources as you can find, find a good place to set up camp, unless you are dying from the cold, in this case, build a fire as fast as you can. If you have enough resources and you’re not dying, pick a good spot that has an antlion hill nearby, a tree, and a water source. These 3 are the criteria for a good camp. (look in below picture)

Apparatus: Begin constructing tools depending on the resources you have, and what you need. After basic tools have been constructed, make bigger, more efficient tools. (I would build a sword with the tools, just in case)

Position:
If you are feeling brave, and you want to migrate to a better location, I would only recommend this if:

1. You have a fire ready in your inventory.
2. There is not enough resources here to sustain you (No food, water, or a specific resource, for example a tree, or an antilion hill)

This is a very risky gamble, especially on island maps where you need to swim to the next island.

Extras: If you are happy with your camp position, and you have gotten diamond tools, begin building weapons, such as a bow, and a hut. These take a lot of resources and are not necessary in most cases for survival, but look great and make you look like survivorman  + Bear Grylls.

Gathering Resources

There are many different sources for many different resources, antlion hills can get you vines and berries, and birds can give you food.

Food: Staves off hunger and some foods stave off the cold as well. Remember, always cook your meat before eating it, it lowers your fatigue and hunger more than if it was raw.

Food Source No. 1: Birds

This the one of the three ways of getting food, you kill birds, (Either Player Controlling Birds, or NPC birds), NPC birds are the seagulls, they ALWAYS drop only 1 piece of meat and/or eggs. NPC birds fly away as soon as you come close to them, so melees aren't going to work, throw rocks, wood, or fire projectiles at them. Player controlled crows can drop 1 piece of meat, and/or an egg,and a hunting badge, or, if the game glitches up, they are considered a living player and drops as much as a human does, ~11 Pieces of meat. Yum! This isn't the best way of getting food, sometimes birds dont exist in an area, and the crows arent generous enough to give up their meat, so you shouldn't rely on this too much.

Food Source No. 2: Humans

When push comes to shove, humans are a food resource. Kill one of your friends and get their resources and ~11 pieces of meat. Again, this isn't the most sustainable source of food.

Food Source No. 3: Antlion Hills

The most sustainable food souce in the game. You can get endless berries and if you're low on  water, you can turn the berries into juice, which lowers your thirst all the way down. You need a sickle to gather berries, you wouldn't need to upgrade your sickle though, it's good enough to keep you alive.

Wood and Sap

Extremely important in crafting, many tools require wood AND sap, and without one of these, the other one is useless. Get sap from a tree by either using a rock against it, or, crafting a knife for faster sap collection

Rocks and Minerals

As imporant as wood and sap, rocks and minerals for making tools. The usual pattern for tool building Rock tools, crystal tools, then lastly, diamond tools. Better tools mean faster resource collection means: Faster Construction.

6. Tips and Overview

Winter survival is a balance of managing resources, and managing health. Don’t get too involved with making tools and buildings that you forget about your needs. As soon as you see a need getting kind of big, fix it. If you follow this, you SHOULD survive, unless an unfortunate scenario is placed upon you that makes it impossible to survive.

To place a building or a structure, Follow this diagram.

For a list of Recipes: http://forum.randomgs.com/index.php/topic,27.0.html
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 11:12:16 AM by rocket50 »

Offline Don

• Respect: +1201
Re: Rocket50's Guide to Winter Survival
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 05:18:49 PM »
Nice guide you got there.
You should go into a little bit more detail in the crafting section though.

Offline Jman

• NO FUN ALLOWED
  • Old Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +9999
  • Respect: +805
    • Random Gaming
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 05:21:54 PM »

also go into more detail about hunting

Offline Rocket50

• My god it's dusty
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 06:19:50 PM »

Did you like my survival acronym I created?

Offline Jman

• NO FUN ALLOWED
  • Old Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• Random Gaming
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 06:23:18 PM »
Did you like my survival acronym I created?

yus

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Mr. Franklin

• Old Forum MemberWindows UserLinux UserLeague PlayerDonatorCat Lover
    View More Badges!

• I'm addicted to sweet tea
  • Respect: +388
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 08:49:19 AM »
Maek moar recipes.
Quotes from friends:

.:~RND`=- coolzeldad -=: mah mouse is sqeakeh
.:~RND`=- Mr.Franklin -=: tweeeeek it

Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/mrfranklin1972
Prox: Thread status: memed.

Offline Rocket50

• My god it's dusty
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 10:08:56 AM »
+1
Maek moar recipes.

Dars a recipe list on the bottom

Offline Peetah

• League PlayerWindows UserDog Lover
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +823
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 11:05:37 AM »
Very nice guide Rocket. ++Rep. :)
(Reg) Nezz45: peetah are you good with the weight tool?

Offline Rocket50

• My god it's dusty
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 11:13:20 AM »
Very nice guide Rocket. ++Rep. :)

Did you like my survival Acronym? :D

Offline UberLord

• wazzup?
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 03:22:55 PM »
Nice guide, I might actually play ws.
<10:48:56> "Shimmuh": im psming
Remember kids, if an old man in a van pulls up to you, kick his van and scream rape.

Offline Jman

• NO FUN ALLOWED
  • Old Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• Random Gaming
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 04:06:21 PM »
Did you like my survival Acronym? :D

do u have to ask this question to every person? you already asked O_O

Offline Rocket50

• My god it's dusty
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 04:12:20 PM »

do u have to ask this question to every person? you already asked O_O

Its because no one actaully reads the whole thing, they just skim it :D

TL:DR

Offline grimreaper

• EAT ME!!
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 08:03:24 PM »
i actually read it and i didnt know how to play but now im pretty sure i can do it cuz of ur guide     :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :purplepacmanghost: :redpacmanghost: :darkbluepacmanghost: :zombie: :pacman:
EAT ME!!

Offline tjreid99

• Respect: 0
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 02:50:14 AM »
nice guide man! ;D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 02:25:17 AM by tjreid99 »
GIFSoup
Yeah, you run and tell THAT, homeboy.

Offline Hitman

• Respect: +112