Author Topic: Area Portals in Source SDK  (Read 92 times)

Offline Juan_Ambriz

• Guys is it wrong that....
  • POENIS
  • Respect: +338
    • My Youtube. Mostly tech help SUB!
Area Portals in Source SDK
« on: December 29, 2011, 07:15:50 PM »
I cant get these fucking Area Portals to work,
i have been trying to get them to work for about 3 hours already
they all fucking mess up by allowing me to see the skybox when i open the door and once i pass through it, the room i just left appears to be the skybox..
i can upload pics if needed... but what am i doing wrong or ca anyone help? please

THANKS CRYPTO BB

Offline Alkaline

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +430
Re: Area Portals in Source SDK
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 04:59:17 PM »
+1
they all fucking mess up by allowing me to see the skybox when i open the door and once i pass through it, the room i just left appears to be the skybox..

You are not doing anything wrong.

This should explain what a area portal does if you do not already know.
In my own words, an area portal is a controllable "door" in the vis leaf parts of your map.

But let me take a step back and fill in some gaps for questions that may arise.

In your Hammer Editor, with your map already loaded and compiled once, go to Tools > Load Portal File > Click yes on pop-up.
What you will notice in your 3D view are a bunch of blue lines all over the fucking place. The volumes (3D areas) created by these blue lines are your vis leafs. When you compile your map, hammer checks the visibility by checking, from each individual leaf, what other leafs that leaf can see. If a leaf is in no visible sight of another leaf, it is not rendered from the leaf the client is standing in. That way, a client would not need to render the whole map when it cannot see all of it.

Of course, when you compile your map with Hammer, it automatically chops up your level into vis leafs.
If you have a sphere somewhere in your map and you compile, it will chop a single room into over 500 vis leafs.
The same thing goes with cylinders and any kind of diagonals / details / small brushes.

Simply select your small detail brushes and press cntrl + T to tie them to an entity called "func_detail".
This excludes them from the vis compile process and can drastically reduce compile time and gain performance.
Only non-entity brushes will be considered when hammer is compiling for vis.

Now that you have cleaned up your map with func_details, lets say you want to further optimize your map.
You can do so with hint nodes and area portals, but those are advanced and shouldn't be used unless it is desperately needed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I hope this helps you and anyone who read this.
If you need any further explanation, whether you or anyone else, you can PM me through forum.
A Man named William Reed's last living testament says that he is going to read his own will.

Will Reed's will will read "Will Reed will read Will Reed's will"

Offline Juan_Ambriz

• Guys is it wrong that....
  • POENIS
  • Respect: +338
    • My Youtube. Mostly tech help SUB!
Re: Area Portals in Source SDK
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 08:27:44 AM »
Alright thanks alkaline
Someone please lock this

THANKS CRYPTO BB