Author Topic: Java/Python  (Read 106 times)

Offline Ἆxule

• Respect: +579
Java/Python
« on: December 04, 2011, 08:36:29 PM »
I asked a really good friend of my dad's who programs embedded flight software that controls satellites in space about learning C++, since that's what language he uses for his job. He told me instead of trying to learn C++ as my first programming language (because of how "harsh" it is), I should try to learn Java because of how much softer it is and because it's very much like C++.

I also mentioned how I wanted to try to become a game programmer and he said to learn Python to see if that's really what I want to do.
you might want to learn Python and build a game using Python. The goal here is to figure out if game programming is what you want to do. I'm not going to sugar coat this, game programming is rough stuff when doing it in C++. You can make pretty sophisticated games in Python without the massive headache of doing it in C++ for the first time. It would give you a chance to see if game programming is what you want to do.

So with that said, do any of you guys have anything to help me learn these two languages (Java & Python)?

Offline sledog

• Respect: +1
Re: Java/Python
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 10:21:31 PM »
Well learn the basics of Python first; then download PYGAME ( a library of python) and make a game from there http://python.org/ && http://www.pygame.org/news.html are the sites where you'll get the programs; As for tutorials honestly google it up and start from there.

Offline Andy

• Respect: +5
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 02:12:46 AM »
I got thrown in at the deep end at college and passed my C++ console application assignment with flying colours, and then moved on to Windows Forms in the same language and I've cracked it after about a month or so. However, there are still things I don't quite understand and it's all very confusing.

Start off steady, build your way up.

Offline ursus

• Linux UserCat LoverWindows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• drunkposting is the music of the soul
  • Respect: +1518
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 09:48:24 PM »
I would definitely recommend learning something cross-platform.

Offline Сєşάя

• I used to be annoying
  • Respect: +72
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 04:04:34 AM »
To have a good notion of programming, study Python.

Offline Peetah

• League PlayerWindows UserDog Lover
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +823
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 02:17:24 PM »
Python is very similar to other standard languages.
Learn Python instead of Java.
(Reg) Nezz45: peetah are you good with the weight tool?