Restricted (Read Only) > Senior Members

how the fuck does this even happen

<< < (5/6) > >>

Deacon:
yet consider that it was also in a pouch containing tools for the factory jack/tire iron. it would've been insulated.

Osme:

--- Quote from: Deacon on October 08, 2011, 09:30:20 AM ---but thats just my point; its not old, we live in an area with NO humidity, it was kept inside the car...
it shouldn't have any form of wear/tear, other than previous use

--- End quote ---
Sometimes metal is just weak from manufacturing and and easily break, and if it breaks, its usually a fairly impressive break.

aerobro:
dat deacon face

Tomcat:
The manufactures forged it wrong.

My past experience tells me that they only put it under heat once witch makes it brittle. They forgot to heat it up another time at a lower temp.

Trust me, I know shit tons of stuff about manufacturing. 

Xrain:
Cheap junk tool made by the lowest bidder with poor quality control.

Most sockets are cold worked from blanks and pressed into shape, then as Tomcat says they then go through a heat-treatment process which makes them brittle, but also very hard (more brittle=more hard).

I don't think they anneal them to soften them again as the hardness of the socket is desired, as you want your tool to be harder than the bolt in most cases. (Though if it was an impact socket these are softer so when you use an impact driver they wont shatter and send metal splinters into your eyes.)

So my prognosis is a combination of:

- Low quality metal
- Manufacturing defect (Struck off center, giving it too thin of a sidewall on one side or something similar.)
- Poor design

Probably 95% of the time these sockets work fine for the light duty they are subjected to, rest of the time they break like yours did.

Just go buy a tire-iron from NAPA or CarQuest or what-have-you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version