.:`=-~rANdOm~`-=:. Game Servers (Read Only) > Guides

How to record a demo file (.dem)

(1/7) > >>

Cable:
Introduction
A demo is a source recording that can be recorded and watched by typing simple commands in the console.
Recording demo's can be very useful for film creators like myself, But they can also be great proof for reports here on the forum and such.
Step 1:
While you are in game (TTT for example) press ~ to open your console.
(Your console MAY NOT be enabled. To enable it, Go to your Garrys mod options, Go to Keyboard and Mouse settings, click on advanced settings, and check the box that reads "Enable developers console"
Step 2:
Then you're going to type "record *You can put any file name here*"
So for example, Someone was hacking in TTT, I would spectate them and type in the console "record speedhacker"
It will then start recording, and it wont stop recording until you type stop in the console.
Step 3:
Once you've captured proof with the recording, The demo file can be found in your steam folder under
Program files/steam/steamapps/*your user name*/garrysmod/garrysmod
The file will be in there. From there all you need to do is upload it to any upload site. For example:
http://www.filesmelt.com/ or http://www.mediafire.com/
Once it's uploaded, Just simply make a report following the reference, and enter the file download link for proof.
Additional Information:
If you want to watch the recording yourself, go back into Garrysmod
open the console and type in "playdemo *file name here*"
So once again using my example, I would type "playdemo speedhacker"
The demo would start to play.

I need to note that some keyboards are not 'US' keyboards, so even when you enable the console, you can't open the console.

That's why you use Launch Options

1. Right click the Game at the Library

2. Click Launch Options

3. Write -console

That'll automaticly open ALWAYS the console, when you run the game.

Or, you could just mess up with the configs like bind x "toggleconsole" put that to your autoexec, or any config.
This works ONLY while playing.

-Thanks Mehis!

jimonions:
stickied for usefulness.

Deelpeel:
tyvm! i always wondered how to play my demos :P

Dale Feles:
Can you convert your files to .avi and such?

Don:

--- Quote from: .:~RND`=-$ilent on April 21, 2011, 06:12:29 PM ---Can you convert your files to .avi and such?

--- End quote ---
No, you'll have to re-record them with a program such as Fraps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version