Creative Arts (Read Only) > Graphics

Woodworking Projects

(1/4) > >>

Sabb:
Lately I've gotten some new tools and found quite a nice wood specialties shop nearby so I've started getting back into some woodworking stuff. Atm I've been making some wooden rings out of exotic woods I've bought. Currently I've successfully made 3 rings and will probably be making more tonight and tomorrow.

ZEBRAWOOD RING
A texture was added to this ring but it's difficult to see because of the wood's grain. When it's varnished I'm hoping it'll be more noticeable in a picture.

TAGUA NUT RING
The chunk to the left was a failed attempt. Tagua nut is really cool to work with and has nice features but unfortunately often has hollow points in the centre or cracked/rotten areas. Unfortunately the only way to find out if it's solid or not is to cut into it, and since it wasn't that was the most I could make out of that. Thinking of making it into a pendant.

BLOODWOOD RING

PURPLEHEART + WENGE HEART PENDANT
Originally this was aimed to be a ring but the wood wasn't thick enough so I attempted to make this instead. Came out decent I think, but I think there are areas that could be better. Getting the indentation in the heart with the tools I have was surprisingly a bit troublesome.

TAGUA NUT RING2

PADMÉ AMILDALA'S 'JAPOR SNIPPET' NECKLACE (STAR WARS)
Also made of tagua nut, completely finished project.

PURPLEHEART RING

AFRICAN BLACKWOOD RING

Unfortunately I don't have any varnish or decent stains/finishes for these types of wood but will most likely be getting some soon. So in the mean time they're not entirely completed, especially the zebrawood one as it's quite a soft wood and definitely needs a good varnish for something like this. I'm quite happy with the way these are starting to turn out though so I'll definitely be making more and probably updating this thread as I go.
I'm also going to be finishing setting up a new table saw tonight/tomorrow and plan to be doing some work with that along with my scrollsaw and will probably do some engraving with my Dremel as well. Might try engraving on rings but that take quite a bit of practice.

Also going to be making ones out of purpleheart and wenge next. At some point I plan to also glue different woods together to make some interesting ones. Probably going to try wenge with a strip of purple heart in the centre to start with.

Frank:
Oh wow, that's so fucking beautiful.

Sabb:

--- Quote from: Frank on June 16, 2013, 09:13:47 PM ---Oh wow, that's so fucking beautiful.

--- End quote ---

HideoKojima:
Do you put these wood rings on your wood?  ;)

[Valor]iPounce:
You should like make me one of those and send it to philippines

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version