Technology (Read Only) > Programming

programming robots

(1/2) > >>

Ἆxule:
So I'm talking with a few friends and somehow the topic of me learning C++ comes up. These guys are in robotics club and started saying how they needed a person to help program their robots in C++. This is great because it sets a goal for me, however, I have not the slightest clue how difficult this will be, and what else will I need other than the compiler?

Сєşάя:
C++ ? Yeh, you can. But is advisable program with Assembly also. (Machine)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)Don't ask me anything about Assembly, I dun know

Travelsonic:

--- Quote from: Ἆxule on February 23, 2012, 12:34:56 PM ---So I'm talking with a few friends and somehow the topic of me learning C++ comes up. These guys are in robotics club and started saying how they needed a person to help program their robots in C++. This is great because it sets a goal for me, however, I have not the slightest clue how difficult this will be, and what else will I need other than the compiler?

--- End quote ---

C++?

It could be done, but I'd prefer C and assembly for the lower level shit.

Сєşάя:

--- Code: ---C++?

It could be done, but I'd prefer C and assembly for the lower level shit.
--- End code ---

I know C..HA  :trollface:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)Jk

Xrain:
This depends on a lot of things, mostly what do you want this robot to do? (ex. Drive forward a few feet, react to sensor inputs, drive autonomously, etc.)

If you intend on doing a fully autonomous system, well... Good luck, I am in the process of building a rocket guidance system, that has only 1 axis of control, and it already is extremely difficult.

If you just want it to do simple things, like stop when a sensor says something is there, or follow a line, or just follow a pre-programmed course this isn't so bad.
C++ is a great language, it can be used for almost anything, and many micro-controllers use it. You do not need to know assembly at all.
Even if you are building an embedded system from scratch you still don't really need to know assembly. C is very similar to C++ though C++ has a few syntax changes, and some extra features.

So give me a few more details and I should be able to give you a more accurate assessment of what it's going to take.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version