.:`=-~rANdOm~`-=:. Game Servers

Support (Read Only) => Suggestions => Topic started by: Jman on June 18, 2011, 10:41:43 PM

Title: Reserved Slots For VIPs?
Post by: Jman on June 18, 2011, 10:41:43 PM
As the title states.

It's so damn annoying when someone is calling you to kick someone, and you can't get in because the server is full. There's not enough VIPs that it would get to the point the servers would be over-run. Even if you look at all the VIPs, there's usually only a few VIPs on at the most at one time.

I personally don't see why this could be a bad thing. I already told coolz, and he's thinking about it, so I made this thread to get public input. So, what do you think?
Title: Re: Reserved Slots For VIPs?
Post by: Deathie on June 18, 2011, 10:44:27 PM
por favor

Not a problem with ZS, plenty of slots, but I could see how this would be a problem for the VIP's over in TTT.

:thumbsup:
Post by: Deacon on June 18, 2011, 10:45:15 PM
I agree, this would help. Although if we could at all limit it to maybe 2 or so VIPS at a time, that would be nice. I know sometimes I join games based on whether or not my friends (coughvips) are in, and hogging a slot to do so would be counterproductive.
Post by: Jman on June 18, 2011, 10:46:22 PM
Yeah, maybe make it so only 1-2 slots are reserved for VIPs at a time?
Post by: Cable on June 18, 2011, 10:49:56 PM
Just a few days ago i was called into TTT,
Unfortunately i couldn't do anything for the next 30 minutes because it was full.
Post by: Hotgreensoldier on June 18, 2011, 10:57:47 PM
Yus, definetly. What is the point of calling a VIP to the server when they can't come before teh rule breaker leaves?

I.E. You call a VIP and when a slot finally opens up, it was the rule-breaker who left :l
Post by: memo3300 on June 18, 2011, 11:40:29 PM
i think 1 reserved slot would be enought.
Post by: Hotgreensoldier on June 18, 2011, 11:42:48 PM
i think 1 reserved slot would be enought.

What is THAT VIP was afk?  :-[
Post by: memo3300 on June 18, 2011, 11:45:10 PM
What is THAT VIP was afk?  :-[

he wouldn't get kicked by being afk after 5 minutes?
Post by: Hotgreensoldier on June 18, 2011, 11:58:53 PM
he wouldn't get kicked by being afk after 5 minutes?

A LOTT can happen in 5 mins..
Post by: Foofoojack on June 19, 2011, 12:35:25 AM
ehh, more against it then for it, but it still has its advantages.
Post by: Don on June 19, 2011, 12:44:11 AM
Now that there's only 15 VIPs left, I really think this is a good idea - too often have I been called to a server just to fail at the join server screen.
 :thumbsup:
Post by: Prox on June 19, 2011, 02:19:08 AM
I was thinking about this a while ago but haven't decided to post.
So yeah, I agree with this idea.
Post by: ٶȻhriʂ on June 19, 2011, 02:59:49 AM
good idea :thumbsup:
Post by: Hitman on June 19, 2011, 05:39:04 AM
 :thumbsup: to the idea.
Everytime i call deacon to ttt, its always full. xD
Post by: Shawn on June 19, 2011, 06:58:55 AM
I'm on the fence with this one, I can see why it can be handy but i also don't think its really that needed after all if things really did need help its better to call an admin in since they can insta-kick...
Post by: Jman on June 19, 2011, 07:11:29 AM
if things really did need help its better to call an admin in since they can insta-kick...

But that almost defeats the purpose of VIP. Are you supposed to normally call an admin whenever someone needs a kick, or are you supposed to do it yourself? VIPs are partially there in my opinion to make it so an admin doesn't have to be in the server 24/7.
Post by: jimonions on June 19, 2011, 07:14:39 AM
Admins can kick and ban via sourcebans

just putting that out there.
Post by: Jman on June 19, 2011, 07:17:27 AM
Admins can kick and ban via sourcebans

just putting that out there.

Yes, but VIPs can't. I think it's always good to have AT LEAST one VIP in the server, for obvious reasons.

Not only that, but I don't see how 1-2 reserved slots for VIPs can be harmful in any way?
Post by: Shawn on June 19, 2011, 07:19:52 AM
But that almost defeats the purpose of VIP. Are you supposed to normally call an admin whenever someone needs a kick, or are you supposed to do it yourself? VIPs are partially there in my opinion to make it so an admin doesn't have to be in the server 24/7.

if the server is all full of trolls we couldn't even kick/ban if we wanted to our powers are depended on the people in the server.

I wasn't trying to say that where not suppose to do anything but when things get really bad we can't do nothing.
Post by: Jman on June 19, 2011, 07:25:38 AM
if the server is all full of trolls we couldn't even kick/ban if we wanted to our powers are depended on the people in the server.

Only regulars can vote. If a regular is voting no on a clearly correct vote, you take a screenshot and report that regular and they get demoted.

Yet again, I still don't see how this would be harmful in any way...
Post by: Sabb on June 19, 2011, 08:35:21 AM
Accidentally voted no.
I think it would be a good idea, but only 1 reserved slot...
If VIPs join it shouldn't kick someone like when an admin joins though.
Post by: Peetah on June 19, 2011, 08:40:53 AM
I dont mind for either.
Its a good idea, but wirebuild is never full :3.

Forever alone.
Post by: blαh2355 on June 19, 2011, 09:26:47 AM
I dont mind for either.
Its a good idea, but wirebuild is never full :3.

Forever alone.
Don't worry Peter, I'm starting to go on wirebuild more often :D

I like this idea :thumbsup:
Post by: Cable on June 19, 2011, 01:07:31 PM
I honestly don't understand how people don't like this idea.
Just doesn't make any sense to me.
Post by: Sabb on June 19, 2011, 02:17:29 PM
I honestly don't understand how people don't like this idea.
Just doesn't make any sense to me.
I wasn't sure if I agreed with it at first because I don't think VIPs really deserve any perks on the servers, but it's not just a perk for VIPs, it's supposed to help manage the servers (which really needs to happen sometimes), though the majority of the time I can see it being used just as a perk and VIPs not really using it to get in the server to help.
Post by: This Toast on June 19, 2011, 03:33:24 PM
Great idea. Especially for RDM'ers on TTT. You can't just disturb admins and tell 'em to join. Jman is always available but its always full. :thumbsup: this toast post
Post by: Wafflepiezz on June 19, 2011, 03:54:32 PM
So that is 1 admin slot and 1-2 VIP slot(s) per server...so = 2-3 people not being able to play per server. That's quite alot since most servers are full & you have to wait a long time to get in...example: TTT and possibly Fretta

But the thing is about calling admins, many of them are either afk or gone. NOT POSSIBLE.

I see approx. 1-4 VIPs on a day, so that would be quite good...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Post by: Sabb on June 19, 2011, 03:56:04 PM
So that is 1 admin slot and 1-2 VIP slot(s) per server...so = 2-3 people not being able to play per server. That's quite alot since most servers are full & you have to wait a long time to get in...

But the thing is about calling admins, many of them are either afk or gone. NOT POSSIBLE.

I see approx. 1-4 VIPs on a day, so that would be quite good...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you hadn't noticed, the admin slot doesn't really work I don't think... The TTT server often has 16 people.
Post by: Jman on June 19, 2011, 03:56:31 PM
So two people vote no, but wanted to vote yes.

That means it is 20-8.
Post by: Dale Feles on June 19, 2011, 03:59:51 PM
I vote  :thumbsup: to this! This will reduce the number of minges on the servers due to VIP's easily joining to kick/ban people.
Post by: Frank on June 19, 2011, 04:15:23 PM
Make only one reserved slot, for VIPs+. What does that mean? VIPs, Admins, SAdmins and owner can come in at any time and clean up.
Post by: Sabb on June 19, 2011, 05:16:16 PM
Make only one reserved slot, for VIPs+. What does that mean? VIPs, Admins, SAdmins and owner can come in at any time and clean up.
I was honestly thinking this too, but it's more important for an admin to be able to come into the server to help than for a VIP to.
Because if there was a VIP in the server, then the admin wouldn't be able to join until the VIP left if the server was full.

Unless you're thinking of something else?
Post by: ursus on June 19, 2011, 08:24:48 PM
I've seen servers that would have a max of 16 players, but when an admin joined it would turn into 17/16. That way, nobody gets kicked.
Post by: Mr. Franklin on June 20, 2011, 11:01:51 AM
Hmmm lets say you get a message from a friend and a person is rdm'ing everyone in TTT, they need a VIP to get on but the server is full, with VIP reserve slots, well 1-2 of them, it makes it easier on the players.
Post by: Jman on June 20, 2011, 12:27:21 PM
I like how 8 people (not including sabb and waffle's votes) voted no, but haven't even given a reason why not. That's what I want to find out lol.
Post by: Deathie on June 20, 2011, 03:08:53 PM
The votes of people it's directly affecting shouldn't matter.

VIP's in TTT will most likely say YES due to being a little swayed at the fact they can join when the server is "full".

Other TTT players will most likely say NO because they feel like VIP's are getting special perks or something.

I think only the opinions of people who play on other servers that aren't full 24/7 (Wire, ZS, Fretta) are the ones that should actually count.
Post by: Jman on June 20, 2011, 03:48:48 PM
Other TTT players will most likely say NO because they feel like VIP's are getting special perks or something.

I believe at least 3 regular TTT players said yes because we are asked to help kick people, but we cannot because it's full.

Not only that, but even if the case is VIPs getting "special perks", it's just something else like being able to start a votekick/voteban as VIP and the ability to vote as Regular. Every rank has it's own "special perks" except Guest and JBanned by that logic.

I am just looking for a reason why it's a bad idea. Just saying VIPs will clearly vote yes doesn't show why this shouldn't be implemented.
Post by: Deathie on June 20, 2011, 04:42:02 PM
Not only that, but even if the case is VIPs getting "special perks", it's just something else like being able to start a votekick/voteban as VIP and the ability to vote as Regular.

In Layman's terms, some people would vote no cause they jelly, regardless of what you say to them.
Post by: Jman on June 20, 2011, 05:11:40 PM
In Layman's terms, some people would vote no cause they jelly, regardless of what you say to them.

I understand that, but even with that considered, the yes votes are about twice the no votes.
Post by: Sabb on June 20, 2011, 06:06:21 PM
Votes can obviously be biased from VIPs, so allow coolz to decide.
Admins can also be biased, because they may see it as a perk, and don't feel it's right for VIPs to have any such perks.
Post by: Jman on June 20, 2011, 06:26:11 PM
Votes can obviously be biased from VIPs, so allow coolz to decide.
Admins can also be biased, because they may see it as a perk, and don't feel it's right for VIPs to have any such perks.

Well obviously coolz gets the final decision. It is good to see public opinion though, and it shows 23-9 in favor of it.

So now that the public has spoken, let's just wait and see coolz' decision like you said.
Post by: Hotgreensoldier on June 20, 2011, 07:00:48 PM
Well obviously coolz gets the final decision. It is good to see public opinion though, and it shows 23-9 in favor of it.

So now that the public has spoken, let's just wait and see coolz' decision like you said.

We must now perform the ritual to call coolz...I've got the cookies, who's got the asbestos?

anyways, I don't think of it as much of a perk. Most of the time they will just deal with the problem and go back to what they were doing.
Post by: Tomcat on June 20, 2011, 07:42:39 PM
No Notrly  :thumbsdown:

I dun want a slot war
Post by: Deacon on June 20, 2011, 07:52:58 PM

I dun want a slot war

demotion for hogging slots/ starting slot wars.
Post by: Hotgreensoldier on June 20, 2011, 07:56:25 PM

^this
Post by: Jman on June 20, 2011, 08:12:16 PM

I dun want a slot war

How would this cause a slot war......................?
Post by: Deathie on June 20, 2011, 08:18:52 PM
How would this cause a slot war......................?

Admins being unable to join due to VIP's being in the server.
Post by: Deacon on June 20, 2011, 08:33:20 PM
Admins being unable to join due to VIP's being in the server.

Post by: Jman on June 20, 2011, 08:58:19 PM
Okay, I really don't see the problem. Even currently Admins don't have a limit to the reserved slots of a server. All it is is that an admin can join a full server no matter what.

I.E. Say there's 15 regular people and one admin in TTT. If another admin tries to join the servers it will make it 14 regular people and two admins. This would continue.

Hence, there can be no slot wars....because admins can get in the server no matter what..
Post by: Sabb on June 21, 2011, 11:32:26 AM
I may be wrong somehow, but when admins join a random person in the server gets kicked if the server is full, so it doesn't matter?
Post by: Jman on June 22, 2011, 12:56:19 PM
I may be wrong somehow, but when admins join a random person in the server gets kicked if the server is full, so it doesn't matter?

Hence, there can be no slot wars....because admins can get in the server no matter what..

indeed
Post by: Tomcat on June 22, 2011, 01:48:47 PM
Rly the idea behind it was to use slots in contests

Post by: Sabb on June 22, 2011, 01:50:30 PM
Rly the idea behind it was to use slots in contests
What?
So you think that it's a bad idea, because it's not what it was intended for?
That's just horrible logic...
Post by: Tomcat on June 22, 2011, 01:54:12 PM
What?
So you think that it's a bad idea, because it's not what it was intended for?
That's just horrible logic...

I'm saying the slots are used for contests. Period
Post by: Sabb on June 22, 2011, 02:37:41 PM
I'm saying the slots are used for contests. Period
What are you even?...
Post by: Jman on June 22, 2011, 02:45:31 PM
What are you even?...

My thoughts exactly. I really don't see what he's even trying to say.
Post by: Tomcat on June 22, 2011, 05:03:19 PM
Coolz made the slots so a admin could always get in the server and also for contest reasons.
People should have to be active and win it in a contest like masters did once, rather than having the privlage come automatically

Waiting for people to bitch
Post by: Sabb on June 22, 2011, 06:48:00 PM
Coolz made the slots so a admin could always get in the server and also for contest reasons.
People should have to be active and win it in a contest like masters did once, rather than having the privlage come automatically

Seems like yo just don't want VIPs to have privileges to me...
Post by: Jman on June 22, 2011, 06:51:29 PM

At your service tomcat.

Regardless of how it used to be intended, I haven't seen a single person given a reserved slot for winning a contest while I was here. So while Smasters may have won it a long time ago, that was then. But what you lack to realize is that was before VIP was created. Back in the respected times obviously this would have been a bad idea, with the fact respected was handed out like regular today and it just wouldn't be neccessary. There's only a low number of VIPs, about 15, and I think the arguement you've presented is no reason this shouldn't be taken into action.

Post by: Sabb on June 22, 2011, 06:53:21 PM
At your service tomcat.

Regardless of how it used to be intended, I haven't seen a single person given a reserved slot for winning a contest while I was here. So while Smasters may have won it a long time ago, that was then. But what you lack to realize is that was before VIP was created. Back in the respected times obviously this would have been a bad idea, with the fact respected was handed out like regular today and it just wouldn't be neccessary. There's only a low number of VIPs, about 15, and I think the arguement you've presented is no reason this shouldn't be taken into action.
Agreed.

I'd really like to see coolz's opinion on the idea whether he agrees with it or not.
Post by: Tomcat on June 22, 2011, 08:20:38 PM
Agreed.

I'd really like to see coolz's opinion on the idea whether he agrees with it or not.

Same.
Post by: Don on June 23, 2011, 12:29:41 AM
There's only a low number of VIPs, about 15
14, actually.

If Tomcat so strongly disagrees with people purely getting privileges because they're VIP, how about having some kind of vote or something to determine a number of VIPs that will get the slots?
Post by: Jman on June 23, 2011, 04:06:26 AM
14, actually.

If Tomcat so strongly disagrees with people purely getting privileges because they're VIP, how about having some kind of vote or something to determine a number of VIPs that will get the slots?

I would rather no VIPs get special treatment over other VIPs.

Anyways, I still don't see why this is a bad idea. There's 14 votes against this. Tomcat is the only one who stated why he doesn't want it. We've given reasons why we want it, you guys give your reasons you don't want it and we debate until coolz makes a decision, easy as that.
Post by: Sabb on June 23, 2011, 07:36:58 AM
No. If one VIP gets a reserved slot, everyone else does, because if one has the reserved slot, it will be the same as all having a reserved spot. (because there's only going to be one reserved slot for all VIPs and admins)
I also don't agree with having some VIPs more privileges over others.
Post by: Peetah on June 23, 2011, 07:46:00 AM
Vip+ kicking in yo.
Post by: Tomcat on June 23, 2011, 08:15:58 AM
Wait

So

Im doing it kinda right?
Post by: Jman on June 23, 2011, 08:37:25 AM
Wait

So

Im doing it kinda right?

No, you be wrong.
Post by: Deathie on June 23, 2011, 08:55:21 AM
Vip+ kicking in yo.

LOL.

Anyways

I think VIP's should get the reserved slots, and my opinion is unbiased since I only play ZS, which always has slots open.
Post by: Don on July 10, 2011, 09:13:34 AM
bump
Post by: Jman on July 10, 2011, 10:34:00 AM
bump

My +1 still stands lol.
Post by: Deacon on July 10, 2011, 10:35:04 AM
as does mine.
Post by: » Magic « on July 10, 2011, 03:23:59 PM
We do have a limit

It's 1 slot

If slot is taken by another admin

Can't join
Post by: Sabb on July 10, 2011, 04:56:00 PM
We do have a limit

It's 1 slot

If slot is taken by another admin

Can't join
I've seen the server with several admins in at the time, and full, and then another admin joins and someone is kicked.
Post by: Foofoojack on July 11, 2011, 06:05:56 PM
I've seen the server with several admins in at the time, and full, and then another admin joins and someone is kicked.

this.

x1000
Post by: Don on July 14, 2011, 03:04:28 PM
bump again
There haven't been any proper arguments against this and no one that voted no on the poll has said anything in the thread so far. ._.
Post by: coolzeldad on July 14, 2011, 04:38:13 PM
I'll probably do something like one slot for any VIP.
Post by: Sabb on July 14, 2011, 06:04:48 PM
Came.
Everywhere.
Post by: coolzeldad on July 15, 2011, 02:18:35 PM
Came.
Everywhere.

Please buy some paper towels..

because it's now implemented. (on next map change)

1 slot for VIP / 1 slot for Admin

/thread