.:`=-~rANdOm~`-=:. Game Servers

Technology (Read Only) => Mapping => Topic started by: Cable on August 06, 2012, 12:15:03 AM

Title: zs_fear_maze *ACTIVE TESTING*
Post by: Cable on August 06, 2012, 12:15:03 AM
Here is a dl of the map. I nowhere near complete, but I want people to test the maze. I honestly think its wayyy to hard.
When you load the map, just noclip to one of the corners and start there.
http://www.mediafire.com/?ii7z0jv1oplzf21 (http://www.mediafire.com/?ii7z0jv1oplzf21)

Some of you are going to love me for making this, others will hate me.

zs_fear_maze is zs_fear_tower mixed with zs_maze_v2.

I've made new and improved versions of both towers, and the maze is now bigger and more difficult.
and as the name suggests, this maze will actually be scary. This includes jump scares, sounds, etc etc. You will probably need to change your pants eventually.
The objective is to make the map fun, yet fair.

I'm still working on the map, and its going to be a few days before I can get it finished.

Maze Time lapse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRmlDcf9EEA#ws)

Here is a little teaser:
(http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/3748/mazey.png)

So in the meantime, tell me things that you would like to see improved/included in the finished product.
Title: Re: zs_fear_maze
Post by: The Ghost Of Anony Mouse on August 06, 2012, 12:17:23 AM
nop, no cheap scares
Post by: Lavenchie on August 06, 2012, 12:17:53 AM
Instead of posting the old fear tower, why not make another one with different obstacle making it unfamiliar to players and making a challenge.
Post by: Cable on August 06, 2012, 12:19:29 AM
Instead of posting the old fear tower, why not make another one with different obstacle making it unfamiliar to players and making a challenge.
The tower is a little different, but the main parts of it are the same. It is completely remade, but the obstacles on it are pretty much the same.
Post by: Juan_Ambriz on August 06, 2012, 01:14:55 AM
I'm interested on to how you are going to make the jump scares, I wanna make a Scary mansion or something with popups and stuff being thrown at you.
Post by: The Ghost Of Anony Mouse on August 06, 2012, 01:22:32 AM
I'm interested on to how you are going to make the jump scares, I wanna make a Scary mansion or something with popups and stuff being thrown at you.

stalker scream
Post by: Ἆxule on August 06, 2012, 01:24:05 AM
Put a slenderman around a corner.

Also, Lost Woods theme again please
Post by: Lavenchie on August 06, 2012, 01:46:41 AM
Put a slenderman around a corner.

Ohgodthis, make it a death trap where his tentacles stab you.
Post by: The Ghost Of Anony Mouse on August 06, 2012, 01:51:19 AM
Ohgodthis, make it a death trap where his tentacles stab you.

rape
Post by: Cable on August 06, 2012, 03:30:57 AM
I'm almost afraid that I'm making the maze too hard...
Post by: jimonions on August 06, 2012, 03:45:55 AM
zs_mear_faze
Post by: This Toast on August 06, 2012, 04:13:50 AM
I like it. I love pissing myself. 100% support here, Cable.
Post by: Alkaline on August 06, 2012, 05:30:51 AM
This may require you to tweak the layout a bit but you should add some random gates that block the survivors and force them to go a different path.

The gates could be textured the exact same as the walls of the maze or something else. Make them as func_doors and make their spawn position to start as closed so that they start off blocking everything. By doing this, the func_doors will have the correct lighting on them rather than being pitch black.

THEN, put a logic_auto somewhere on your map and make it fire the output ( OnMapSpawn -> door_* -> Open ). This will open all of the func_doors on your map if their prefix is "door_". Now all your doors are open and ready for you to start randomly picking.

THEN, make a logic_case for a group of 2 or 4 doors as it will pick only ONE of them. In the logic_case, set the outputs of case01, case02, case03, etc. to open a single door.
For example, in the logic_case outputs, ( OnCase02 -> door_02 -> Open ). Now go back to the logic_auto you made and for its outputs, make it fire to each of the logic cases. So for the outputs of the logic_auto, ( OnMapSpawn -> logicauto_01 -> PickRandom ) and then for the rest of the logic_cases you made.

Sorry if this appears confusing but it could really help take out the linear aspect of the map. Contact me on Skype if you want help with this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Post by: Cable on August 06, 2012, 05:56:50 AM
Ok everyone, Start giving ideas for things to scare people with.

Keep them simple. Don't suggest something like having slenderman follow you throughout the maze or shit like that. Just simple, easy to do things.
Post by: JIGSAW on August 06, 2012, 07:27:48 AM
how about having a rag-doll just fly out while walking down a hall at a certain part of the maze with a certain noise using the "triggeronce" and the "phys explosion" then set the rag-doll at a certain position so when the player walks through the trigger the rag-doll will fly out in front of him. (Simple)
Post by: ○ Μαρία ○ on August 06, 2012, 09:27:15 AM
Ok everyone, Start giving ideas for things to scare people with.

Keep them simple. Don't suggest something like having slenderman follow you throughout the maze or shit like that. Just simple, easy to do things.
'I would suggest not making things too scary, since not all people would appreciate that. :\
Post by: Loke on August 06, 2012, 09:43:40 AM
Cable, I have this pretty scary model that if animated right and textured right could scare the living shit out of someone.
Could I join in making this fabulous map?
Post by: Ἆxule on August 06, 2012, 02:13:04 PM
Cable, I have this pretty scary model that if animated right and textured right could scare the living shit out of someone.
Could I join in making this fabulous map?

I think Cables more of a solo kind of guy
Post by: Cable on August 06, 2012, 07:09:34 PM
'I would suggest not making things too scary, since not all people would appreciate that. :\
I will now implement little feet that crawl out of mouse holes and attack you.
They will also leave a trail of pus and filth.
Post by: ○ Μαρία ○ on August 06, 2012, 07:09:56 PM

Now why would you do that. ;_;
Post by: Doctor Who on August 06, 2012, 07:24:03 PM
How about an obvious giant ass hammer model trap placed on the ground along with a trigger that activates when the player approaches it, right as the trap is activated it goes through the player like a ghost
Title: Re: zs_fear_maze *ACTIVE TESTING*
Post by: Cable on August 06, 2012, 08:26:43 PM
bumping
Post by: Juan_Ambriz on August 06, 2012, 08:47:30 PM
They will also leave a trail of pus and filth.

Lol Mr Franklin actually told me to do something like this when I was working on Juans_House a long time ago, except he said to make it with a baby
Post by: Alkaline on August 07, 2012, 06:52:42 AM
bumping

I really like how you redubbed the first tower with planks and frames. It's going to look awesome with lighting.
The maze itself isn't too confusing as long as you run towards the first tower.

And the first ramps for the small tower are still the 1-inch thick brushes instead of planks unless you intended this. Disable showadows for your prop_dynamic_overrides for your windows because their dynamic shadow stretches over the walls of the tower.
Post by: Cable on August 07, 2012, 06:54:56 AM
I really like how you redubbed the first tower with planks and frames. It's going to look awesome with lighting.
The maze itself isn't too confusing as long as you run towards the first tower.

And the first ramps for the small tower are still the 1-inch thick brushes instead of planks unless you intended this. Disable showdows for your prop_dynamic_overrides for your windows because their dynamic shadow stretches over the walls of the tower.

Thanks for checking it out. I'll fix those windows.
Any ideas on the scary traps?
Post by: Alkaline on August 07, 2012, 08:07:02 AM
I forgot to post this after I played the map but:

(http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/5746/zsfearmazetest0001.jpg)

Make a brush like the one above textured with the tools/skip texture (https://developer.valvesoftware.com/w/images/e/ec/Toolsskip.gif). Be sure that the bottom of the brush touches the top of the walls of the maze. Then texture the bottom of the brush with the tools/hint texture (https://developer.valvesoftware.com/w/images/8/84/Toolshint.gif). By doing this, anyone inside of the maze below the hint plane will not be able to see anyone else that is below the hint plane if they are not in their visleaf.

And to disable it so you can work, open the Auto tab in visgroups and uncheck Skip. Just be sure to check it off again when done or it won't compile it.

(https://developer.valvesoftware.com/w/images/8/8b/Hammer_filtercontroltoolbar.png)

Thanks for checking it out. I'll fix those windows.
Any ideas on the scary traps?

I'm not too sure what you could add for scares. I think the humans will be more focused on zombies trying to goomba stomp and finishing the maze.
Post by: yoshi on August 07, 2012, 11:17:36 AM
Atleast make the atmosphere creepy than just having jump scares or traps.
Post by: Cable on August 07, 2012, 06:28:30 PM
Atleast make the atmosphere creepy than just having jump scares or traps.
Well of course, that's been the plan all along. What kind of mapper do you think I am?
Post by: Cable on August 10, 2012, 03:09:26 AM
Post by: Lazer Blade on August 10, 2012, 05:43:24 AM

Wow this looks amazing can't wait to play it :o
Post by: Travelsonic on August 20, 2012, 05:35:20 PM
Part of me was ready to suggest so far as things popping out taking the priests, trollfaces, and pedobears from the Pedobear Chase Fretta gamode, and make it so one of them randomly pops out/chases a player/disappears.   

:trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface:
Post by: Asuna Yuuki on August 20, 2012, 07:42:40 PM
zs_mear_faze

The FaZe Clan?