.:`=-~rANdOm~`-=:. Game Servers

Restricted (Read Only) => VIPs => Topic started by: ursus on January 18, 2012, 09:28:13 AM

Title: Trying to buy/sell TF2 items ingame?
Post by: ursus on January 18, 2012, 09:28:13 AM
Is it allowed or not.

The other day someone came to Stronghold and started adding everyone, saying he'd pay them with Stronghold money for their items.

I told him to stop and that I'd end up kicking him if he didn't, but he insisted that Ruben told him it was okay.

Although I trust ruben's opinion, he's only one admin. I want to know what everyone else thinks.
Title: Re: Trying to buy/sell TF2 items ingame?
Post by: Shawn on January 18, 2012, 09:32:47 AM
If someones stupid enough to trade TF2 items for stronghold money seems like its their problem to me Lol

I wonder if i can trade my 5k stronghold money for some portal 2 shit with this guy Lol

But i don't think its officially allowed just because we can't mange the trades to make sure someone doesn't get ripped.
Post by: Apie2 on January 18, 2012, 09:36:01 AM
It's their decision if they wanna trade or not.
It doesn't really give problems if you trade in-game.
Post by: Sabb on January 18, 2012, 09:41:02 AM
I don't see anything wrong with it.
Post by: Don on January 18, 2012, 09:52:04 AM
I just found a new way to acquire currency.
Post by: Hotgreensoldier on January 18, 2012, 01:02:22 PM
I came in yesterday and some asshat was bragging about how he scammed someone in stronghold and saying the they were a "whiny dumbass bitch" for quitting after getting scammed.

It seems like this would cause problems with players complaining about getting scammed on here.....
Post by: Dale Feles on January 18, 2012, 01:37:13 PM
I'd say its allowed, although whoever is trading should be aware he/she can get scammed and it is not allowed.
Post by: Frank on January 18, 2012, 02:28:04 PM
I'd say it's not allowed, because it'd become a market for glitchers and moneyfarmers.
Post by: Sabb on January 18, 2012, 03:34:55 PM
I just found a new way to acquire currency.
'
You can't sell your virginity for SH cash, Don.
Post by: Deacon on January 18, 2012, 05:41:32 PM
I strongly feel that this would breed scamming and farming. I say nay.
Post by: Cake Faice on January 20, 2012, 03:33:01 PM
So the only reason why the person came to the game is just to buy/sell TF2 items? If so, then that's sorta...stupid. That will only encourage more people to turn stronghold into a trade fest where no one is actually playing the game.
Post by: Xrain on January 23, 2012, 08:58:30 AM
No

1. All trades would operate on good faith (aka no direct way of transferring goods) this would automatically mean scamming.

2. It opens a Pandora's box of other things that we probably shouldn't get into.

If you really are keen on trading stuff like that do it out of game, the servers aren't a marketplace to trade your crap around in.

Think about it, even if 95% of the trades were legitimate, it would only take that 5% to spread a reputation that RND is full of thieves and scammers. Not the end of the world no, but not a risk that is worth the benefits.
Post by: Sabb on January 23, 2012, 09:18:16 AM
No

1. All trades would operate on good faith (aka no direct way of transferring goods) this would automatically mean scamming.

2. It opens a Pandora's box of other things that we probably shouldn't get into.

If you really are keen on trading stuff like that do it out of game, the servers aren't a marketplace to trade your crap around in.

Think about it, even if 95% of the trades were legitimate, it would only take that 5% to spread a reputation that RND is full of thieves and scammers. Not the end of the world no, but not a risk that is worth the benefits.
I think this is probably the first time I'll have to disagree with you.
It's not like RND is going to become a trading server... if it got to the point that everyone came on the server to trade stuff, then we could start enforcing against it, but I really see no harm in it now. If people are foolish enough to trade on the server and get scammed, their faults. It doesn't really create much of a bad rep for RND... not unless the active ranked members are scamming. But anyhow, if there's one or two people trying to trade stuff, and not causing a big deal with it, then I see no problem. If anything, that will get them to play on the server more to earn cash and trade would it not?
Post by: Deacon on January 23, 2012, 09:44:00 AM
We gain nothing from players playing more, especially not if we are harboring this kind of behavior inside of a normal TDM gamemode. I agree entirely with Xrain: Its just going to cause problems with the scammers AND the scammed.
Post by: Apie2 on January 23, 2012, 09:47:47 AM
Just let it be for a month or something and look how it's going to turn out.
Post by: Sabb on January 23, 2012, 09:52:33 AM
We gain nothing from players playing more, especially not if we are harboring this kind of behavior inside of a normal TDM gamemode. I agree entirely with Xrain: Its just going to cause problems with the scammers AND the scammed.
So you're saying that having more players, more active players, isn't a good thing? And I can bet it won't cause problems.
Post by: Frank on January 23, 2012, 10:25:12 AM
We're not talking about risk of scammers, we're talking about actually allowing scam. If people want to trade stuff from Stronghold for TF2, fine. But we don't endorse it. We won't help people, but we won't tolerate scammers.
Post by: Sabb on January 23, 2012, 10:38:19 AM
We're not talking about risk of scammers, we're talking about actually allowing scam. If people want to trade stuff from Stronghold for TF2, fine. But we don't endorse it. We won't help people, but we won't tolerate scammers.
Not tolerating scamming really is helping people.
But it's just like if you were playing PERP. Scamming's allowed, just frowned upon. Don't see any benefit from making a rule against it.
Post by: Deathie on January 23, 2012, 12:32:24 PM
Not tolerating scamming really is helping people.
But it's just like if you were playing PERP. Scamming's allowed, just frowned upon. Don't see any benefit from making a rule against it.

I think it should be at least /kickable/. Just tell them to stop, and that if they really want to do that sort of thing, do it through steam chat, or even go into TF2 and play on a trading server. That's what they're there for anyways.

It's more like just stopping an accident before it happens. The whole point of a game server is to have fun.

It's not fun for anyone involved though, if people are just scamming each other and everyone is just getting upset.
Post by: Frank on January 23, 2012, 12:59:02 PM
Yeah, if you're playing an RP server it's alright to have your jobs and whatever else you do in RP servers. But it's not an RP server. So I don't see why we should make it one.
Post by: Xrain on January 23, 2012, 05:07:23 PM
The real issue here isn't scamming, reputation, what have you. ( But I still think you should be setting a better example  ;D)

It's the fact that TF2 items translate to real cash values. When you open that boat you often get unexpected consequences.

It would be different if we oriented the servers to serve that function, but as it is, trading items in game that have a cash value, especially in exchange for arbitrary money (stronghold dollars). Isn't a game I feel that we would want to play with at the moment.

If it ends up we want to start micro-transactions in the RND servers that would be another matter, but judging by coolz's policies thus far I doubt that is going to happen.

So to me, keep item trading that have real cash values off the servers. That is after-all what Ebay is for.
Post by: Sabb on January 23, 2012, 05:12:56 PM
The real issue here isn't scamming, reputation, what have you. ( But I still think you should be setting a better example  ;D)

It's the fact that TF2 items translate to real cash values. When you open that boat you often get unexpected consequences.

It would be different if we oriented the servers to serve that function, but as it is, trading items in game that have a cash value, especially in exchange for arbitrary money (stronghold dollars). Isn't a game I feel that we would want to play with at the moment.

If it ends up we want to start micro-transactions in the RND servers that would be another matter, but judging by coolz's policies thus far I doubt that is going to happen.

So to me, keep item trading that have real cash values off the servers. That is after-all what Ebay is for.
My opinion remains. coolz' input on this would be nice.
Post by: coolzeldad on January 23, 2012, 06:18:42 PM
Hmm, I would say that regardless of a rule it would be hard to enforce or maintain a stance either way.

I would say that the only rule would be not to engage in harassment of other members over the item trading.

Once you see it cross that line and they understand I think it's fair game for kicking or w/e if they continue with harassment.